Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennywah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Install new washer/dryer
    Hello all,

Wanting to install a new electric washer/dryer in a condo. In the space I want it, there is a functional sink and a 120 volt outlet. A few questions:

1. The sink will be removed due to space constraints. The 120 volt outlet will be replaced with a 220 volt outlet. Can you walk me through the steps? I know there is space on the panel to install a new breaker. I assume I need to run 2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground through the existing conduit to the outlet? What do I do with the existing wires that are at the end of the 120 outlet (cap them)? What gauge wire will I need? Stranded or solid? What amp breaker will I need?

2. The dryer should be vented from what I'm hearing. There is a window a few feet away that I can use. How do I vent the dryer out this window with the least difficulty? The window is just your standard glass pane window.

3. I know the electric dryer needs 220 volt. What does a typical electric washer require? The only outlet in this space is the one I'm replacing to 220 volt. Will an extension cord to the washer be OK?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Can you provide the specifications or model numbers on the washer dryer? We will need this info to size the wire for both units. Otherwise we will be just guessing or making assumptions.

I can tell you no on the extension cord to any appliance.

Also, is your supply voltage 220 Volt, or is it 240 or 208 Volt? Need to be sure the voltage rating of the appliance is the same as the supply voltage.

I ay this because, if this in in the USA, then 240 volt is standard residential voltage. If this is a condo in a high rise building, then very possible the voltage is 208 volts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 01:43 PM
    I am going to leave the answers to the better informed. To give a good answer, they may need to know the wattage or amps of both the washer and dryer, plus the size of the existing conduit.

You may want to post to the plumbing forum for details on converting the sink drain to a washer drain. Maybe look at the washer and bypass the newer, faster discharge ones. Many older washer drains won't take it, let alone a sink drain. Also look at the appliance thread and see what a pain the ones with a digital control are to trouble shoot. I have always prided myself on accepting new ideas, but I reserve the right to reject ones that don't work.
    kennywah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Hello there,

I'm in the midwest, chicago, Illinois to be exact. I haven't purchased the units yet as I want to get the dirty work out of the way first. I'm pretty sure it is 240 volt as I'm in a multi-unit condo. It appears the conduit is 1/2 inch.

I will post this thread in the plumbing section as well. Thanks.

I assume most new washers/dryers will require similar electricity? Given generalities, any walk-through steps?

Thanks again

Kenny
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Being in a multi unit building indicates the possibility of having 208 volt supply.
    Knowing the supply voltage is just to be sure you purchase the correctly rated dryer unit. The washer is most likely 120 volts.

Generally speaking, it occurs to me, you will probably not be allowed to do your own electrical work in a multiunit dwelling. Best to check with the condo association and local building/electrical official before you proceed. Any loss of property or life due to faulty electrical work can be a serious offense, and may not be covered by insurance.

Washers are normally 20 amp 120 volt and dryers are normally 30 amp 240 volt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable washer/dryer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a portable washer/dryer combo machine which is connected to the kitchen sink when in use. A faucet adapter is for the connection. The faucet adapter seems to work well when connecting the hose to the faucet, however, it is very difficult to disconnect the hose after the washer/dryer cycle...

How to install a gas dryer? [ 8 Answers ]

I just recently bought a new/used gas dryer, but to my knowledge my mobile home does not have a line to connect the dryer what should I do? Return it? Is it going to be expensive to connect or what needs to be done?

Washer Dryer Hook-up [ 5 Answers ]

I just inherited my sister's 8 year old washer and dryer (gas). The super came by and told us he would need to replace some of the hook-ups, for a total of $170. That seems a little bit expensive. Is that a normal price to replace the washer hoses, necessary clamps and valves, the gas line, etc?...

Washer/dryer installation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am very interested in a certain older home that has been remodeled. There is weirdness, though. The remodelers installed washer connections where the refrigerator is clearly supposed to go, and the utility closet has a dryer connection (about 15 feet away). I would either want to put the...

View more questions Search