Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aka_the_noid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 05:59 PM
    What ceiling fan capacitor do I need?
    Ok, quick background info. I have an approx 2 year old Harbor Breeze ceiling fan (item 188780). After not using it much or at all over the winter we turned it on, but only the high speed would work. Thinking it was a switch problem, I bought a new switch at Lowe's and opened up the fan. Unfortunately the problem was the capacitor. Well, at least that's my guess with the half inch of solder sticking out of one side and a little bubbling out the other side.

Lowe's doesn't carry such stuff and holding on the 800 number isn't helping. I've left a callback number, but since they don't call back till the next day it doesn't help since I can't answer.

Anyway, can I safely order a replacement from CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - 5-Wire Capacitors or Capacitors - ceiling fans or somewhere else? Or do I need to continue to try calling customer service? BTW, I'm calling Litex at 800 527 1292.

On my capacitor is: 4.5uF/350V 6uF/250V 6uF/250V

Do I need to be concerned about the V? They don't seem to list it on the above web sites. And if I can't match the uF exactly, is that OK? 4 6 6 seems much more common, would that be fine?

Thanks,
    John
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 07:18 PM
    250 Volt Capacitor or higher is fine, could probabably go lower, no lower than 130. Since it sounds like you have 3 capacitors in 1 package. To the same value looks like 2 in series on 1 setting. You can replace the existing switch, or figure the one for high, leave it threre(hardwired/no switch), then use a Fan Control for Speed Control.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
    4 4 6 is fine, it may run negligably slower on some or all speeds.

Ceiling fan capactors - troubleshooting and resources - Ceiling Fans N More
    aka_the_noid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_the_noid
    Ok, quick background info. I have an approx 2 year old Harbor Breeze ceiling fan (item 188780). After not using it much or at all over the winter we turned it on, but only the high speed would work. Thinking it was a switch problem, I bought a new switch at Lowes and opened up the fan. Unfortunately the problem was the capacitor. Well, at least that's my guess with the half inch of solder sticking out of one side and a little bubbling out the other side.

Lowes doesn't carry such stuff and holding on the 800 number isn't helping. I've left a callback number, but since they don't call back till the next day it doesn't help since I can't answer.

Anyway, can I safely order a replacement from CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - 5-Wire Capacitors or Capacitors - ceiling fans or somewhere else? Or do I need to continue to try calling customer service? BTW, I'm calling Litex at 800 527 1292.

On my capacitor is: 4.5uF/350V 6uF/250V 6uF/250V

Do I need to be concerned about the V? They don't seem to list it on the above web sites. And if I can't match the uF exactly, is that ok? 4 6 6 seems much more common, would that be fine?

Thanks,
    John
    Thanks for the answers. After unsuccessfully calling around to several local stores and stopping by Lowe's and Home Depot, I tried calling Litex again. After a 15 minute call, about 14 minutes on hold, I have a new capacitor on the way, no charge. I wanted to get one right away locally, but I guess free and a week or two later will have to do. It seems like capacitor problems are not that uncommon, so it makes me wonder where repair men get replacements from.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
    It's usually easier and cheaper to just replace the fan if someone else is doing it.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
    I have not found a good source for capacitors other than out of fans I part out. Grainger has commercial versions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capacitor on a ceiling fan [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody. Newbie on this forum. My ceiling fan is out of order due to capacitor burnout. It is 2.25 MFD. Even when it was working fine, I felt it was not running at full RPM revolutions per minute. My friend suggested that replacing old capacitor with 4 MFD will help resolve RPM...

SMC ceiling fan capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know where to obtain a replacement three lead 2.5+4uF capacitor for a model X42M-ML SMC ceiling fan in South Africa or on the internet.

Ceiling Fan Capacitor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Pasadena ceiling fan that started sparking from the light sockets. The fixture sockets and wiring ring out OK and my guess is that the capacitor has an internal problem. It is a 4-wire cap with the blue (light wire) supplying the light fixture. The original is a 3.5uf, 4 uf, 4.5 uf and...

Ceiling fan capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

The fan is a Hunter. In the housing holding the pull chain is a 5-wire capacitor. I bought a pull chain switch 5-8 wire switch with a capacitors in it, brand Harbor Breeze. Will this replacement switch work if the capacitor in it is bad. Or where might I buy a capacitor for it. The capacitor is...

How do I change a capacitor in ceiling fan? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Huntington III ceiling fan that is only 7 months old. The fan speed is stuck in the "high" mode. Using the pull chain doesn't change the speed. I contacted HB's helpline and was advised that it was a bad capacitor. They mailed me a new one but no instructions. How do I...

View more questions Search