Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesearl Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Upstairs floors making squeaky noise?
    Our house is about 30 years old and when we are downstairs and someone is walking up stairs you can hear the floors making this squeaky noise. What is causing this noise? We are planning on replacing the carpet but wondering if we need the floors repaired? If we need them repaired, what kind of repairs? About how much would it cost?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Is your upstrairs hardwood or just a subfloor? You will know for sure by taking up a corner of the rug. Subfloors should be glued and screwed but can still come loose after 3 decades. Find the offending seam and put several 2.5" screws into the joist below. If its hardwood you need to predrill a pilot hole and countersink the screw head.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Yep - that's how its done
    Raymonator Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Mar 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Wish it were that easy for me. Tried everything, still squeaks like hell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reducing upstairs noise [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a privately owned condo on the first floor. The person who lives above me is very nice but I can hear her EVERYWHERE she goes and it sounds like an earthquake, constant STOMPING like stormtroopers overhead. She recently replaced her flooring (new carpet and corkboard linoleum) and it...

Upstairs floors from making squeaky noise? [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is about 30 years old and when we are downstairs and someone is walking up stairs you can hear the floors making this squeaky noise. What is causing this noise? We are planning on replacing the carpet but wondering if we need the floors repaired? If we need them repaired, what kind of...

Squeaky floors [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a new laminate floor and wonder if this will stop any squeaks I have in the floor now? Do the existing squeaks have to be repaired BEFORE the new floor is put in?

Noise upstairs in home - Builder, construction [ 2 Answers ]

I live ina 1984 track home in CT that is not very well built. It is 2000 sq foot raised ranch with one bedroom down and 3 up, along with kitchen, lr and dr. The noise level from downstairs is horrible. I can hear normal walking around and when someone is actually doing anything more than just...

View more questions Search