Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    october0255 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Clothes washer overflow/stoppage
    I ran a load of clothes and my Kenmore (1 yr old) washer overflowed from the standpipe. I had this problem last summer and had two plumbers "fix" the problem until now. Plumber #1 elevated the drain pipe to provide more vertical drop and increased the length of the stand pipe. He also tried to jet spray the drain pipe. It worked for a very short while. Plumber #2 roto-rootered the main line plumbing stack from the basement to the city sewer line. The over flow from the floor drained was partially fixed. I purchased heavy duty drain cleaner and poured it in the floor drain and unclogged it. No problems since then.

Finally, it has been quite cold here (15 degrees F), though today is much warmer (> 32).

Suggestions?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Q-Do you live in a low area with older sewer system? Or older neighborhood? :cool:
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 12:55 PM
    Drainage problem
    I had the same problem years ago and it turned out that after I roto rooted my main drain some other neighbor would do the same and my problem was back again.we found out our main sewer lines were not only clogged but antiquated.during heavy rains our streets would flood several inches.Basements flooded destroying furniture.If you havr roto rooted thoroughly and the problem comes back talk to your neighbors and see if there is a common problem in your area. :cool:
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2005, 12:59 PM
    I have the same problem at my house every spring, when the snow melts. The city always comes in to do that roto rooter thing, and they tell me it's tree roots causing the obstruction. There are a lot of very old spruce trees in my neighborhood.
    october0255 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 02:25 PM
    Washer overflow/stoppage
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just got back from Home Depot and while there discussed the problem of the stoppage. A filter for lint was frowned upon, though it was suggested that I buy some heavy duty drain cleaner, which I did. Testing that solution now. It was also suggested that I get a small plumbing snake and run it through the clothes washer drain line. (it must intersect with the main line running from the toilet to the city line. Right? That's the next step and will be under taken tomorrow.

The neighborhood is well established with the home I own having been built in '56. I don't know, but my suspicion is that the sewer lines are fairly old. The two previous owner spent BIG bucks trying to stop water from draining into the basement. It was successful. My neighbors still have serious water drainage problems during heavy rain.
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 04:53 PM
    Clogged drain.
    You may need more than a small snake since you may have to go all the way to the main sewerline which in Ind. Was120ft I woulld rent one from the hardware store and go from under the kitchen sink all the way out to the main.Your layout may be different.Some go through the toilet drain(very messy)or call roto rooter. :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Overflow Pan? [ 5 Answers ]

My home inspector suggested I put in a metal washer overflow pan in the laundry room. Where do I get this? Do they range in size? How do I know which one to get?? Thanks for any help!

Washer machine overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! It appears that the washer machine overflows when the water valve is turned on. The machine itself is not even running when this happens. The water overflow is dirty.We have to leave the water turned off to prevent further flooding. We are not currently living in this house. It is a...

What is the standard for clothes washer drains? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the standard for rural washer drains?. Separate septic and drain field? Advised to place 55gal. Multiple perforated drum filled with golfball size rocks deep into ground with drain pipe entering into top? Thanks

Washer overflow [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My washing machine is overflowing from it's drain during the drain/rinse cycle. It also back flows thought the pipe and will partially fill the kitchen sink that is connected to the same drain line. The drain is 2" steel, and the house is about 50 old, a single story concrete slab and...

Whirlpool clothes washer-tub overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My whirlpool washer (about 8 years old) oerflowed last night. Apparently the water didn't automatically stop when the tub/basket was filled. We have an upstairs laundry and what a mess. Is this a simple thing to repair or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

View more questions Search