Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groetz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Awful Smell
    Hello! I have a concerning problem. About 2 months ago we had a clog in our basement drain (where the washer drains into) and had Mr. Rooter fix this problem. Now we have an awful sulfur smell coming from the basement. At first we noticed every now and then and it was only in the basement. Now we smell it all the time and fills the whole house. It's been going on for about a week now. I've tried flushing the basement drain with bleach and then hot water 12 hours later, flushed Rid-x (we have septic) and removed the cap on the setpic system to try and relieve pressure build up. Could the clog from the drain been blown up through the ventalation pipe that comes out the roof?? Don't what else to do but spend more $$$ on a plumber!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Before we start taking apart your home could you tell us when the tank was last pumped and inspected? If your roof isn't too steep you can rod your vent from the roof. Run enough rod to reach the basement and then at least another 10'. Is the smell sewer gas or something else?

Oct 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
    We had the tank emptied when the smell began, so July. I just got off the roof and used a snake down the pipe. I had the toilet flushed while I was snaking it. I heard a lot of sloshing and gurgling. After a few minutes I had the toilet flushed again and I smelled the sulfur/sewer smell coming out the pipe. Hopefully this solved it.

Oct 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Yep, that smell is supposed to come out of the stack. However, I am still wondering where your basement odor got in. You you have any floor drains that may have dried out or are untrapped?

Oct 11, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Ballengerb1-Thank you for your help. Today I was fed up when the smell returned, I called the plumber. $1,500.00 (had to put in a new clean out valve) later we discovered there is a crack in the waste line. Lovley huh? Not sure how much this is going to cost to repair and I'm pretty upset because we have to rip the wall out to get to the pipe and I just put down $1,000 worth of beautiful hardwood floors in that room one month ago. Maybe next time my husband will let me call the plumber when I suspect something is not right. After all I am the "Mrs. Fixit" in this household.

Oct 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Actually it sounds like you are pretty good at trying to diagnos problems so come back here again if you have an issue. Speedball1 (Tom) is a plumber and there are others also wanting to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Awful Dad [ 6 Answers ]

Okay me and my exboyfriend broke up last summer, we were fine ended on good terms and still talked every now and then... Two months later I have to call him and tell him I am eight weeks pregnant. He was fine with it. When I was 36 weeks pregnant he decided to flip the script on me and me...

I have awful spots on my arms [ 4 Answers ]

I mean they are not spots but like sores on my arms I need to get rid off before August can anyone advise me on something how to stop itching and picking as I can't help it

Am I awful [ 21 Answers ]

People think I'm horrible because I don't hold my 8 month old all day. He doesn't like to be held but he does cry a lot.. no matter what we do he just cries

My Friend's new book is Awful - What do I say? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I just reestablished e-contact with an old college friend; we dated a little and were thinking of taking things up again. He sent me a copy of a book he just wrote and is trying to publish; he is very anxious to hear my opinion and is hounding me for it. I think it's a mess! It's all over...

View more questions Search