Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MetcalfePete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Another warm Maytag fridge
    I have a top freezer Maytag fridge (MTB1896AEW) and the fridge is warm (or not cool enough). I've read the other posts and have a few questions. Should the fan in the freezer be running all the time?(it's not) And the damper that is below the fan that allows air into the fridge, it's closed. What controls the damper? Does it open when the fan comes on?

I'll take it apart again and check voltages to the fan before I buy another one. But if the damper does not open, the fan will only make a slight difference.

The coils are completely bare, and there was a bit of loose ice in the damper area.

What to do?

Thanks,

Pete
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
    The fan comes on with a door switch and the damper works from the temperature control in the refrigerator.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
    No the evatorator fan will not run all the time. acetc is correct about how the damper works. Could be a bad cold control
    MetcalfePete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MetcalfePete
    I have a top freezer Maytag fridge (MTB1896AEW) and the fridge is warm (or not cool enough). I've read the other posts and have a few questions. Should the fan in the freezer be running all the time?(it's not) And the damper that is below the fan that allows air into the fridge, it's closed. What controls the damper? Does it open when the fan comes on?

I'll take it apart again and check voltages to the fan before I buy another one. But if the damper does not open, the fan will only make a slight difference.

The coils are completely bare, and there was a bit of loose ice in the damper area.

What to do?

Thanks,

Pete
    I've checked the voltage to the fan and it's 120V. When I check the fan itself, I get no continuity between contacts when checking ohms. The freezer control in fridge controls the damper. At highest temp setting it's open half way.

How do I check the cold control?

As a side note, I picked up a new motor, and found it to be the wrong part. I quoted the mod/ser and still it's incorrect. Apparently not uncommon for Matag. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
    You will find 2 electrical leads on it, just jumper it and if it now works the control is bad. Don't leave jumpered too long ar things wi freeze
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I sure miss the days when we just put block in a wooden box and called it a refrigerator

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag fridge not cooling II [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I'm a newbie - earlier this year there was a thread describing a problem and solutions almost identical to mine. I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator Model # MTB1956GE*. Like "Maytag fridge not cooling", my evap fan (the one that cools the coils on bottom/rear of fridge) won't always kick on...

Maytag fridge noises [ 1 Answers ]

I started renting my current apartment 3 months ago. The fridge is newer and nice but ever since I moved in it makes thwocking noises like someone is inside of it throwing rocks at the door. They are very loud! I haven't been too worried until I opened up the freezer(top) section yesterday and...

View more questions Search