Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soyuppy Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 07:48 AM
    240V/20Amp to 2(120V/?Amp)
    I have a 240V line with max load 20Amp. If I split each of the hot 120V leg sharing the neutral and ground to 2 individual 120V outlet/receptacle, what would the max amp load of each? Does it sill maintain 20Amp? Or reduce by 1/2? Is there a formula to this?

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
    You can have a #12 Red, #12 Black, share a common Neutral, So long as they are on opposite phases(breakers next to each other are usually opposite phase, When both breakers are on, should read 240 volts off both breakers, if 0 volts, they are on same phase. Has cancelling effect. If 1 draws 15 amps and other draws 10, the Neutral will carry 5 amps(15-10=5)Do not place both hots on same phase, (15+10=25 Amps) You can overheat and overload your neutral. It would be possible for neutral to see almost 40 amps. Those could both be 20 amp breakers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

120V or 240V for heaters? [ 6 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for seeming daft :confused: , but I am still missing the 120V vs. 240V issue for small appliances such as room heaters. There seems to be an advantage of 240 V only when you may be pushing your circuit; I gather one can put twice as much wattage (e.g. heaters) on a 20A...

20amp plug with 30 amp outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a used tanning bed with a 220 plug and 20 amps.the outlet I am going to use is 220 volts and 30 amps.will this work , or will it damage something?

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

120V heater tape off a 240V source. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My question is very similar to HandyJohn's and much my question was answered in is post. Mostly verifying my suspicion of needing a step down transformer here. Just wondering if you know of any simpler options I may be overlooking outside of running a dedicated line. Here's my...

Wiring 120V light from 240V source [ 6 Answers ]

I currently have a well house that has a 240V source on 12-2 wire powering a submersible well pump. I would like to wire in a 120V light. Can this be done using the 12-2 wire already in place or do I need to remove the 12-2 wire and install 12-3 wire? (It is approximately 60ft from the main house...

View more questions Search