Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usroch Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 01:34 PM
    Washer hookups but no drain??
    I’m completely plumbing dumb! I bought a house that specifically said Washer dryer hookups. Come to find that yes there are hookups but no drain!?

The house is built on a slab with an outside door crawl space that has access to all of the plumbing. The bathroom plumbing is on one side of the wall and the kitchen plumbing on the other. A tall thick black pipe connects to all of the plumbing and goes to the top of the roof.

The washer hookups are located in a kitchen closet next to the furnace which would only allow for a stackable washer/dryer as it is a tight space. Directly behind the washer hookup on the other side of the wall is a water heater. The hookups are about 6 feet from the kitchen sink. Can I tie the washer drain hose to the kitchen drain some how or does it need to tie into that tall black pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by usroch
    I’m completely plumbing dumb! I bought a house that specifically said Washer dryer hookups. Come to find that yes there are hookups but no drain!?!

The house is built on a slab with an outside door crawl space that has access to all of the plumbing. The bathroom plumbing is on one side of the wall and the kitchen plumbing on the other. A tall thick black pipe connects to all of the plumbing and goes to the top of the roof.

The washer hookups are located in a kitchen closet next to the furnace which would only allow for a stackable washer/dryer as it is a tight space. Directly behind the washer hookup on the other side of the wall is a water heater. The hookups are about 6 feet from the kitchen sink. Can I tie the washer drain hose to the kitchen drain some how or does it need to tie into that tall black pipe?
    If you don't have a drain, my friend, then you don't have a washer hookup.
    If the black pipe is close to the water outlets then there should have been a 2" trap installed just off the floor level with a 36" stand pipe coming out of the trap.
    Contact your builder. Your home should be under warranty for the first year.
    This was a oversight and should be corrected at no charge. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2005, 03:15 PM
    First, check closer for the washer drain. May be as simple as giving the little circle between the water hookups a swat and breaking the cover off the drain. If indeed, the drain isn't there, legally I think you can call a plumber in and let him put in a drain and send the bill to the former owner. Check with a lawyer first.

I am confused on this outside door to the plumbing. If the house mostly on a slab with a mini crawl space under all the plumbing? Give details in case Tom has to give you directions to instal a drain yourself.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 05:28 PM
    I sure am glad Labman's on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    First, check closer for the washer drain. May be as simple as giving the little circle between the water hookups a swat and breaking the cover off the drain. If indeed, the drain isn't there, legally I think you can call a plumber in and let him put in a drain and send the bill to the former owner. Check with a lawyer first.

I am confused on this outside door to the plumbing. If the house mostly on a slab with a mini crawl space under all the plumbing? give details in case Tom has to give you directions to instal a drain your self.

I sure am glad Labman's on board. I should have asked if there was a washer box installed in the wall. If there is then your drain is located in the center between the valves. WARNING: If you knock out the cover be EXTREAMLY
    CAREFUL that the plastic insert does not fall down into the pipe. This will block the drainage and you won't be able to use the washer. As a rule we take care of the "knockout" so the home owner doesn't have to.
    If you are uncertain on how to remove it then call in outside help. If it's dropped down the stand pipe then the wall will have to be opened up and the stand pipe cut into and the insert removed. This is a hassle you don't need.
    Thanks again ! Tom
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2005, 07:12 PM
    Yeah, I knew I should have mentioned not dropping the insert.

Jul 14, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Yes the home is on a slab. To access the plumbing you have to go outside to a door that gives you access to all of the plumbing. The house is 55 years old. Now I know there is not a washer box on the wall, I know for sure what that looks like. What I have are ;ok this is not plumbing terminology, are 2 valves 4 inches apart that look like you can hook a hose up to. One knob is blue the other is red. My inspector did say he was sure it was a hook up but was confused where the drain was.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by usroch
    Yes the home is on a slab. To access the plumbing you have to go outside to a door that gives you access to all of the plumbing. The house is 55 years old. Now I know there is not a washer box on the wall, I know for sure what that looks like. What I have are ;ok this is not plumbing terminology, are 2 valves 4 inches apart that look like you can hook a hose up to. One knob is blue the other is red. My inspector did say he was sure it was a hook up but was confused where the drain was.

Then I can only repeat what I said before, "If you don't have a drain, my friend, then you don't have a washer hookup.
    If the black pipe is close to the water outlets then there should have been a 2" trap installed just off the floor level with a 36" stand pipe coming out of the trap.
    Contact your builder. Your home should be under warranty for the first year.
    This was a oversight and should be corrected at no charge. Good luck, Tom"

Jul 14, 2005, 08:09 AM
    Ok thank you for your responses.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2005, 08:16 AM
    I am afraid Tom missed the 55 years old detail. As you can see, he spends an enormous amount of time helping people, and it is easy to miss things sometimes. I do, like not saying don't lose the insert. Likely the builder is off the hook, perhaps dead. But the seller is still responsible for the house to be as sold, with a washer hookup. The washer box is a later development, a plastic box with holes in it for the water pipes and drains, maybe even a couple ball valves built into the box. Your set up sounds much like my 35 year old house, except mine has a 1 1/2'' copper pipe sticking up between the valves. Have you poked around between them? From the outside door, can you see where the pipes go up to the valves? Is there a third, bigger pipe anywhere near them?

If not, I would start asking the seller where the drain is? Go through the Realtor if there was one if you need to. If you don't find out, politely end the conversation and call a lawyer.

I think it is nonsense when somebody pays an old house price for an old house and then tries to have old, but functional things replaced. On the other hand, when you buy a house, your are entitled to a working furnace, a roof that doesn't leak, and a full set of working plumbing unless divulged at the time of sale.

If you end up putting in the drain yourself, follow Tom's directions.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2005, 09:39 AM
    This Site Would go to Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am afraid Tom missed the 55 years old detail. As you can see, he spends an enormous amount of time helping people, and it is easy to miss things sometimes. I do, like not saying don't lose the insert. Likely the builder is off the hook, perhaps dead. But the seller is still responsible for the house to be as sold, with a washer hookup. The washer box is a later development, a plastic box with holes in it for the water pipes and drains, maybe even a couple ball valves built into the box. Your set up sounds much like my 35 year old house, except mine has a 1 1/2'' copper pipe sticking up between the valves. Have you poked around between them? From the outside door, can you see where the pipes go up to the valves? Is there a third, bigger pipe anywhere near them?

If not, I would start out asking the seller where the drain is? Go through the Realtor if there was one if you need to. If you don't find out, politely end the conversation and call a lawyer.

I think it is nonsense when somebody pays an old house price for an old house and then tries to have old, but functional things replaced. On the other hand, when you buy a house, your are entitled to a working furnace, a roof that doesn't leak, and a full set of working plumbing unless divulged at the time of sale.

If you end up putting in the drain yourself, follow Tom's directions.
    If I didn't have Labman around to keep me straight. Yeah! I missed the part about it being a older house. That black pipe is cast iron and you're going to need a pumber to cut into the stack and install a washer trap and stand pipe. However I can see another problem. If the cast iron stack takes the discharge from a major fixture, such as a toilet, then the washer hookup must be vented.
    Hooking to the sink with anything else but a indirect waste would be impossible but if the hose will reach or be extended you could create your own "indirect waste" by hooking it over the lip and discharging into the sink itself. I guess you could take the seller to court and force him to live up to the washer setup as advertised but would the hassle be worth it? Your call!
    Good luck, Tom

Jul 14, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Thank you that was exactly what I was looking for. You guys rock! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

New sink drain 2" off from existing drain [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry for the dumb novice question, but thanks in advance for the advice. My new lavatory sink's drain is 2" away from lining up with the existing p- trap drain pipe. I REALLY don't want to cut off the whole p-trap drain to install a new one that would fit where I need it (as someone has...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search