Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitty Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Whirlpool Dryer
    My dryer started smelling like it was burning and would not dry the clothes. I installed a new heating element and the thermal fuses. I turned it on and still it would not get the clothes hot, then Poof, sparks shot out and it kicked the breaker. I turned the breaker back on and it shot sparks out again kicking the breaker. The sparks come out from somewhere around where the heating element is located.
    What could be my problem now?
    Thanks for any input.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I suspect that you created a short somehow when you replaced the heating element. Unplug the dryer and then inspect the wiring at the element. You will probably have no trouble spotting where the short happened. You may need to splice some new wire depending on what you find. Be very careful to tape all splices.
    whitty Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Thank you ballengerb1, I checked the wiring around the heat element and sure enough, I forgot to attach a wire, so it was touching metal underneath and shorting out. I attached the wire and it runs like a champ. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Whirlpool Dryer Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchase a new Whirlpool washer and dryer. 1. Upon delivery the dryer wouldn’t start at all. I checked the outlet and dryer connection with a volt meter and both showed 220v so the delivery person said it was a bad dryer and took it back. 2. Upon the next delivery the dryer ran for...

Whirlpool Senseon Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Purshased a home with a Whirlpool Senseon dryer model # GGW9868KQ1. I have a problem every time we put in a load, we select the settings and press start. Dryer starts, but after a minute the machine stops and displays E1 on timer. We restart and does it again, we have to constantly keep drysitting...

Whirlpool dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer and it want start... I turned my timer on and press the start button and want do anything.. but you can hear a noise at the timer button and when youn go to press the start button the noise stops... I am wondering if its the timer button or the start button?

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer which has stopped spinning, the motor still runs, and it still heats up. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it. The model number is #LER7646DQ0.

View more questions Search