Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekelican Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Interruption of pressure
    After turning on the water at any faucet in the house there is an interruption of pressure, usaully lasting only 3 seconds or so. Again, this at all faucets. Dose anyone have any idea what the problem is and suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Earl
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Hi Earl,

Are you on a pump or city water? Regards, Tom

Aug 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Tom,

I have a well and pump.

Thanks,
    Earl
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ekelican
    Tom,

I have a well and pump.

Thanks,
    Earl
    Hey Earl, I thought as much.

I'm going to assume that you have a bladder tank and not a galvanized pressure tank. Let's check the bladder tank adjustment. Look on the pump control box. You will see a cut in and a cut out point. A bladder tank is set at 2 PSI below the cut in point. Example: If you have a 30 cut in and a 50 cut out the bladder tank pressure would be set at 28 PSI.
    Let's do it. Shut the power off to the pump at the breaker box and open a cold water faucet to run the pressure down to zero. You may now check the pressure of the tank,( if you get water out of the snifter valve then the tanks faulty and must be replaced). If it needs more pressure then a compresser or a bicycle tire pump can be used. Once you have the correct setting close the faucet and pressure up the system. The function of a bladder tank is to keep a steady flow of pressure, without interruption, to the house. Let me know if it helped. Regards, Tom

Aug 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Tom,

Thanks for your help. I checked the pressure in the tank and it was OK. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Earl
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2006, 08:13 AM
    In my area most of the pumps are shallow well sprinkler systems. My vote still goes with the bladder tank. Its function is to provide steady pressure to the system. Sorry Earl I'm fresh out of suggestions. Tom

Aug 24, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Tom,

Thanks for all your help! After following your directions and checking the pressure of the tank, it appears that the issue has been corrected. It has been three days with no interruption in water flow in the shower, washing machine, etc..

Thanks again,
    Earl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

Circuit interruption [ 3 Answers ]

We have a home office that has two computers and a number of peripheral devices plugged in to the outlets that connect to a single, 15 amp circuit. Recently, the power on this circuit is somehow interrupted for a split second, then goes back on. The breaker is never tripped. This happens...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

No hot H20 pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I'm "extremely" new at home repairs so here goes... I have a tub w/ a cartridge type (Moen) single handle faucet - it's 20 yrs old-the hot H20 pressure just stopped ( cold water works fine/ & all other hot taps work) I replaced it with a new cartridge -still no luck, I've tried to empty the hot...

View more questions Search