Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glmanuel7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
    My side by side Whirlpool refrigerator is not freezing; we had it for six years.
    What can I do before calling a repairman. The refrigerator part is cool but not cold.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2011, 06:41 AM
    I bet your coils under the refrigerator are packed with dirt as well as the fan blades. Unplug unit. Pull out from wall and carefully remove rear cover by first removing screws (1/4" nut-driver needed most of the time). Do not damage this cover. Then wash out coils, but first blow out with air and vacuum up dust. You want to spray fan blades and coils with a good spray cleaner to cut grease and dirt, then spray with nozzle to wash off dirt. Vacuum up with wet-vac. Make sure to keep water out of motor. You can easily remove blade by removing one nut on motor shaft. It's just a stamped metal blade-just do not bend it. Then put everything back together and you have a new refrigerator. Pay attention to put cover back like you found it-it routes the airflow through the coils. This will cure your problem unless you have ruined the compressor by letting it stay dirty. Dirt is the number one cause of all refrigeration and AC problems and failures. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Side By Side Refrigerator Water Dispenser Freezing [ 6 Answers ]

Anyone have any new ideas or successes solving this question. I have read all of the current postings on thawing the water line on a GE Side By Side Water Line Dispenser. This is my first posting of a question and would appreciate any updates. I know what the problem is (line freezing in the door...

Side-by-side refrigerator freeze coils get freezing up [ 0 Answers ]

Have a Frigidaire Gallery side-by-side Model FRS26ZGEW1. The problem has been going on for at least 3 months now. We can't seem to come up with the right fix. Initial problem was that the refrigertor side was not cold enough and the freezer coils were not defrosting. Changed the defrost timer. ...

My side by side whirlpool refrigerator gets hot on the front vertical separation wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Why does my side by side whirlpool refrigerator get hot on the front panel of the refrigerator and freezer separator wall? Thank you.

GE SSS25SGPA SS side by side refrigerator - freezer staying cold but not freezing [ 0 Answers ]

The freezer is staying cold but not freezing. At the coldest temperature it seems that it is staying cold enough to keep meat and such from going bad, but in no means freezes the stuff inside. The meat is always malleable and any sort of ice cream you put in always ends up liquid. When we put...

GE side-by-side refrigerator door freezing shut [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a GE GSS22JEMC WW side-by-side unit and the door keeps freezing shut. Specifically, ice accumulates in the spout in the door, then freezes to the underside of the ice maker. The ice maker is turned off and I'm not using the water dispenser either. It's a slow buildup - takes a few...

View more questions Search