Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xx0range_crushxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Windows XP system restore files corrupted
    I recently experienced a total crash :( and had to use my system recovery kit... Following 3 failed attempts at using the system restore feature and utilizing 3 different restore points. A Trojan virus had infiltrated my system. I had detected and removed the original in February with a virus scan. However the virus attached and corrupted the system restore file. I have a Sony Vaio, Windows XP and Norton Internet security. Though system recovery is a blessing the steps to retrieve data (i.e. Microsoft and windows updates) are very time consuming... Other than disabling system restore is there any way I can prevent this from recurring.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2006, 10:02 AM
    The System Restore feature does nothing for data and little for installed programs. System Restore basically takes a snapshot of your system configuration (primarily the Registry) at a point in time. No personal data files are preserved. Program entries in the Registry are copied, but not the program files themselves. System Restore is NOT a replacement for a good backup policy.

My backup policy works like this:

1) Partition drives. I partition my drives into at least 3 partitions. The C drive is only for the OS. The D drive stores all my data files. The E drive stores all my programs (executables).

2) Clone drives. The C and E drives are cloned using Norton Ghost whenever a significant change is made.

3) File backups. The D drive gets backed up daily with an incremental (changed files) with a full backup weekly.

In this way, if something goes bad, I can restore a clone of my C drive and be back in operation quickly. If I lose a data file, I can restore it easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

I have WIN XP, Service Pack 2. When I go to System Restore, there are no earlier restore points to go to. I have always had earlier points to choose from. Is there something wrong with the program? Thanks.

System restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everbody, am using xp2 sp2 home ed. I tried to access system restore to switch it off temporarily to be met with the message:turned off by group policy,to turn on contact your domain administrator! Went to services where it was showing as stopped,tried to start itgot the following message:sys...

System restore xp [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to restore my computer to an earlier date,but every time I try , the computer goes through the motions, but always comes up with the result "Computer can not be restored to this date" Any help Please

System Restore [ 3 Answers ]

My Restore folder is taking up a ton of space (almost 13 GB of my 20 GB drive) and I'd really like to get rid of it. Is it safe to delete this folder? Edit: I'm on Windows Me and I've already tried turning system restore off.

System restore win ME [ 3 Answers ]

My windows ME system restore facility will not run , and only tells me that I need to restart my PC first . After restarting it still does the same , I think there is a virus behind all this , please help.

View more questions Search