Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiegirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
    MAC monitor turning off by itself
    Ok guys, I know NOTHING about Mac. I have always been a PC person so I'm lost when it comes to MAC. I have a G4 at home with a flat screen monitor. EVery time I am on the computer now the monitor flashes on and off. It won't stay on. Do I need a new monitor? Or could it be a wiring problem? ANy suggestions?

Thanks!
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Try to figure out if it is a loose connection problem.. notice if it has to do with shaking.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It could also be a bad cable rather than a loose connection - you might try wiggling the cable & see if that causes the flashing.

You're sure it's the monitor and your Mac isn't going into sleep mode? Does it flash and come back on again right away, or does it stay off until you move the mouse? If the latter, you might check your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences in the Apple menu.
    maggiegirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    It could also be a bad cable rather than a loose connection - you might try wiggling the cable & see if that causes the flashing.

You're sure it's the monitor and your Mac isn't going into sleep mode? Does it flash and come back on again right away, or does it stay off until you move the mouse? If the latter, you might check your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences in the Apple menu.

It's not sleep mode... It's odd, when it flashes off the light on the monitor turns on as it does when it is in sleep mode.
    I disconnected the keyboard and mose from the back of the monitor and plugged them into the computer instead, and it seems to be a bit better... but it still happens.
    Should I buy new cables?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 28, 2008, 03:36 PM
    It could be the cable connecting the monitor to the G4, or it could be something in the monitor itself. I take it you have an Apple monitor with the USB and Firewire hubs built in? Presumably there's a USB cable going from the monitor to the G4... what happens if the only cable going between the G4 and the monitor is the video cable? That would eliminate some interaction with the USB hub as a problem. If you have a Firewire device going into the monitor, disconnect that, too.

If you have a computer store nearby that works on Macs or ideally an Apple store, you might take the G4 and monitor over there and ask them to see if a different video cable and/or adapter (if you're using one) makes the problem go away. I'd hate to suggest spending the money on a cable or adapter only to find that the monitor itself has a problem.

By the way, you don't need an Apple monitor with your Mac - most monitors will be compatible, though some will require an adapter. You can get a Mac-compatible replacement LCD monitor if it comes to that at Best Buy, Walmart, etc. much cheaper than the Apple monitor if you're not a graphic or video artist who needs a high end monitor to do your work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

I don't want a dual monitor, but I don't want to use my laptop monitor. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my desktop computer monitor onto my desktop replacement laptop and have it be the default monitor? I am currently using these two as a dual monitor, and have no use for the laptop screen. I want to just close it up, leave it on the side, and pretend I'm just using a desktop...

Mac or PC [ 3 Answers ]

What's the benefits of having a PC for an author

My monitor keeps turning off [ 1 Answers ]

After about an hour of it being on it just turns off I can't turn it back on with the power button the only way I get it back on is unplug it and plugging it back in and then it shuts down is about 40 min (repeat what I did) eventually it will just not be able to turn on and I have only had it for...

Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to...

View more questions Search