PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor for nissan altima 2000

ashokv
Nov 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
Please let me know how much time require to fix knock sensor in nissan altima 2000?
when I ask one repair guy give quotation as follow
Part price : $169.00
labour cost : 5.5 *70 =$399
i.e.. $70 per hour

CaptainRich
Nov 9, 2007, 02:36 PM
when i ask one repair guy give quotation as follow
Part price : $169.00
labour cost : 5.5 *70 =$399
ie. $70 per hour
That time is right in line and normal.

That labor rate seems very good.

In this area it ranges from $75 - 115/hour flat rate.

Shop around and compare.

Duane in Japan
Nov 10, 2007, 05:17 AM
It must be hidden under the intake manifold in the top of the engine block, this would be the reason for many hours labor. I would ask them to replace the connector and wire (if it is not wired straight back to the computer, then no choice but to use the old one). I would also ask if they have an oscilloscope so they can test the new one by banging gently on the engine block and watch the AC Voltage trace on the scope prior to putting it back together. Also mention, that you are not trying to tell them how to do their job, but could they please say what the torque value is for the sensor installation torque. Ultimetely not a hard job, just don't want to do all that and find out it wasn't properly installed or that it had a bad connector or a bad shielded wire.

Actually, when they get the engine torn down to the point of being able to remove the KS they should try to test it right then and there to rule out a bad sensor or bad wire or connector, again with the gentle hammer to the block test while using the oscilloscope.

Just appologize up front and say you did a little homework on the web and it will all be cool.

Al_1016
Aug 10, 2010, 06:10 PM
PepBoys quoted $80 to replace the part. Amazon sells the knock sensor for $28.00 and PepBoys said they will put the part on if I bring it in.

Roger6167
Nov 10, 2010, 04:15 PM
I got the knock sensor for my nissan altima 2000 on eBay for 21$. It only take 20 minutes for someone to replace it.

bjader
Dec 31, 2011, 06:45 AM
Knock sensor for 2000 Nissan Altima GXE you can see it underneath in the engine block close to oil filter.You can save lot of money if you do it by yourself and shop the part in the net. You need 12 mm socket to unscrew the bolt.

cnltowing
Feb 27, 2013, 01:03 PM
I reached up under the passenger side axel and changed my knock sensor on a 2001 Altima. I have the axel's removed because of an r&r on the clutch. You may have to remove the axel to get to it. I didn't have to touch the intake