Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fpa661 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Accused of theft after quitting my job due to uncovered Medi-cal Fraud
    I worked for a clinic that upon 6 months into my 1 year employment I discovered that there was potentially Medi-cal fraud taking place. It appeared to me that that someone in the company was taking the patients money and then billing Medi-cal for services on cash paying patients. I discovered this and reported it to the owner (a Dr.) who claimed he would look into it. A few questions were asked of the staff and there were so many different scenarios of how and when this could happen if indeed it did. One staff member stated that she witnessed numerous errors and lack of posting of cash to patient accounts by the receptionist (person who collected the $) and gave the company a written statement of the errors. As time went by and nothing was being done I became more uncomfortable since I was the manager I felt like there may be a cover up going on and decided to quit my job. I felt I could not work for a company and keep myself in a position to potentially be involved any further.

Upon my leaving my job I gave my keys to the asst. manager whom I instructed to take the deposits that were in the safe to the bank and contacted the owner to advise him I would NOT be returning to work. Well... those deposits never made it to the bank and the asst. manager is stating I never asked her to do so. They are accusing me of taking the money. I received a text message fron the assistant asking when I was going to make the deposits and I knew there was something going on. I immediately when to the police department and tried to tell them what had happened and I was feeling I needed to report that I left the money with the asst. mgr. I was advised because the money was not mine to report missing that I would need to wait to see if a report was filed. I waited and heard nothing.

I filed for unemployment and they asked me why I quit. I was honest and mentioned the fraud and my situation. I also filed an annonomys complaint to the state (Medi-cal) regarding what I found while working there. I then began to get harassing messages on my Facebook account calling me a thief and my family is being harassed as well. I received threatening phone calls and someone slashed my tire. My brother is getting messages now on Facebook stating that I stole 10k while working there (the amount I found in medical fraud) and they are now trying to frame me since I blew the whistle on them.

I don't know what to do or how to keep myself protected. What kind of company will go to the extent of harassing via different people whom I don't know on a public entity such as Facebook? It doesn't make sense to me. I never stole anything nor did I participate in any fraud... I left to make sure I was not involved on my own grounds.

They are harassing me and I am scared. They stand to lose a huge amount of business over this and I am just a person on her own. I feel frightened and almost regret turning them in. I thought I was doing the right thing... I am not in the middle of a huge ordeal and lost.

Any advice will be greatly appriciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fpa661 View Post
    I feel frightened and almost regret turning them in. I thought I was doing the right thing..
    Hello f:

Well, you stepped in something, didn't you? I don't want to admonish you beyond saying that you made several very big mistakes... Nonetheless, you're in it now, and you need help.. I'd hire a lawyer.

excon
    cindychick06 Posts: 68, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
    Has there been a police report filed?! Because Facebook is nothing more than a social networking site. Anyone can be blackmailed or get threatening emails on there. If you notified the authorities then I would just see what comes of it, if they do decide to try to press charges on your then yes I would most definitely get an attorney. However if all they did was send some Facebook messages I would just block them and move on. You did the right thing turning them in. I would just see what happens and don't worry about it. They have no proof that you took the money and that is what matters. So just sit tight and don't stress.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 06:02 PM

Ok, they have not reported it to the police at this point, from what I can tell, but you went and reported their theft or fraud?

You made so many mistakes I have no idea where to go besid hiring a good lawyer and hope they don't frame you too well.

1. you don't quit to your assistant, you notify the owner or your boss and quit, and give them the keys, not an assistant.

2. You don't report them without giving your name and giving evidence, you should have reported it when you worked there, so you could have provided them the evidence.

Now there are some issues, if someone has medicare you are suppose to file the medical claim with them, If there was an over payment ( required patient to pay) they would have been repaid.

I see perhaps theft from patient if they were required also to pay, but if the patient had medicare insurance and a claim was filed for service they received, I am not sure it was fraud to the insurance, but fraud or theft from the patient.

But yes, get a real real good attorney.

Jan 13, 2011, 06:18 PM
    A police report was filed and closed as of last week when I called to see why no one had contacted me. The police said that they (the company) did not want to press charges but only wanted to document the inncident. I was told once it is closed they cannot reopen it. But.. this was before they found out that I had turned them in for fraud. It has only been since then that the harassment has escalated.

The police report is for the missing deposits for $2500. The 10k is money they state was taken over time and I believe is a separate issue that the state would need involvement with since it is not missing $ but uncovered fraud... but I really have no idea. I'm just guessing since it's two separate issues.

Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 06:23 PM

Hello again, f:

Well, if you got your unemployment, and they're NOT pressing criminal charges against you, and the only problem you're experiencing is lies being told about you on Facebook, then you don't need that lawyer I talked about.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 06:27 PM

You can stop the lies on Facebook... but that's another story.

I agree that you need an Attorney.

Jan 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    I did not get my unemployment and am being told they are reopening the case to now include the fraud implicating me. I have not heard from any detective so I really do not know if that is true or just harassment. That is why I'm asking...

Jan 13, 2011, 06:33 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    The theft was false billing. Collecting cash from the pt - then billing medical presumtive without a patient filling out any paperwork signed by the pt. There would be no paperwork signed because they paid cash.. someone was taking the cash and billin
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fpa661 View Post
    I did not get my unemployment and am being told they are reopening the case to now include the fraud implicating me.
    Hello again, f:

Told by WHO? Look. Stop LISTENING to these people... I don't know if the cops closed their case or not... I doubt it... Cops don't care if their victims want to press charges or not... IF they think there was a crime committed, they're going to press charges...

The lies on Facebook don't concern me... Criminal charges do. IF you ever hear from a detective, DON'T speak with him... That's the time you need a lawyer.

Did you appeal your unemployment?? You can, you know... I would.

excon

Jan 13, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thank you for being direct. I agree and will take it as it comes. I have nothing to hide just wanted to be prepared. I let the messages online rattle me. I suppose that was their intention. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eligibility for Medi-Cal Benefits [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a girlfriend who is single and pregnant. She is living in California and currently has no reliable monthly income and no real assets (other than a car and some household furnishings). She has catastrophic health coverage that does not cover pregnancy, She also has an inheritance...

Medi-Cal SSI recipient gets inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: We have been getting conflicting information. My roommate is currently receiving Medi-cal and SSI. He is the beneficiary of a trust and is about to receive an inheritance. Getting the money will disqualify him from his benefits. He cannot afford to loose the Medi-cal. Can his...

Medi cal Dentist Aweful [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my situation is this. I went to a dentist about 2 months ago, had a crown fitted and placed. First of all the office manager/billing lady, did the impressions, x-rays and everything, the dentist did not even place the finished crown. The office manager did. She did the x-rays, she does a lot...

Accused with fraud not committed [ 4 Answers ]

If an item is mis priced from the company and you purchase it knowing the price is wrong but it's a good opportunity, can you be charged with fraud under $5000? Also let's say you are charged in court since you didn't do anything to do with fraud would thus charge be dropped...

Elder Law and Medi-cal/Medi-care [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a mom and a mom-in-law who are both over 70, retired, and on Medi-cal/Medi-care. In the process of doing some research, much to my dismay, I recently found out that M/M will seize your assets (bank account, property, etc) upon your passing if you are in their system (using...

View more questions Search