Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fearnoevil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
    When I'm apart from my girlfriend I want to break up with her
    I am a 23 y/o girl in a relationship with an amazing 21 y/o girl. Everything is going well. This is the first relationship I've been in that's fulfilling and that my friends and family finally LIKE who I am dating (I was in a 3.5 yr relationship with a very controlling, manipulative and physically abusive girl and am your classic trainwreck when it comes to picking men lol)

My problem is I had surgery a couple weeks ago and haven't been able to see much of anyone, including her. She calls/texts/messages me daily to see how I'm doing and all, being very sweet. It hit me in the face a few days after surgery how much I am in love with her, as I missed her horribly (we're usually constantly together).

I was finally well enough to go visit her at her place a few days ago and I felt super awkward the whole time. The whole relationship felt new and sort of overwhelming, which is ridiculous since we've been together for 6 months. She was acting completely normal but I just couldn't connect, and pretty much wanted to leave the entire time.

Since that day I've on and off felt like I want to break up with her, but can tell myself I'm being irrational, as I know I don't, but I keep having these little stupid ideas pop in my head that I should break it off. And its always a feeling of "im not good enough for her." or "i dont want to be loved this intensely."

I do have a very long history of sexual abuse and was raped once in high school by my best friend, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, like maybe issues with "concrete" emotions or trust or self worth or something, but I didn't think those probs would cross over to lesbian relations...

Ideas, please?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 10:39 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph. I was actually going to ask if you had a history of sexual abuse.

I was sexually abused when I was a child and then raped as a teen. I found it very hard to get close to people, to let them in. I broke a lot of hearts along the way, until I met my husband. I tried pushing him away, but he wouldn't leave. ;)

I think you need to talk to her, tell her how you're feeling, tell her that you're feeling a bit strange about things. Also tell her that you love her, because I think that's a very important part of your post.

Could it be that realizing you love her scares you and that's why you want to leave, before she can hurt you?

Love involves risk. You run the risk of getting your heart broken, but, if you don't take that chance, you run the risk of being alone forever.

Take the risk.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 21, 2010, 11:35 PM

I would tell her all of what you just said. I think Altenweg hit the nail on the head.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend wants to take a break [ 14 Answers ]

OK my girlfriend (19) and I(21) have been dating for 4 years we live together and recently we got into a big fight (weve been fighting a lot lately) and she went out and had sex with another guy the next day she came home and broke up with me said she needed space because she we have been dating...

My girlfriend wants a break. [ 11 Answers ]

I know this is a common problem: my girlfriend wants a break. We've been dating for almost two years and she has always told that I am the best thing that has ever happened to her. Which is why this situation is so confusing. And you need to know that this is the longest relationship either one...

My girlfriend wants to break up. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone.I am really facing a serious problem in my life and I really appreciate any help I can get.I have been in a good relationship with a girl for 2 and a half years.it was a lovely time but now she wants to break up.well its not that I never got signs that she wasn't being as close to me...

Girlfriend needs a break [ 14 Answers ]

Okay here is my situation... I have been dating a girl named Kristin for four years. We are the best of friends. I treated her so well.. vacations, dinners, manners, etc. All of a sudden over the past three weeks she has been acting diiferently. A lack of affection, she seems to have lost interest...

My Girlfriend wants a Break [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been together for a little over two years now, We met at work when I was 17 and she was 16. Through the last two years we have been through so much together and have experienced a lot together. She went to my senior prom and I went to her's, we gave each other promise rings...

View more questions Search