Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mollymuggles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
    My shih tzu won't eat she can go for 4/5 days before she will eat
    My 2 yr old shih tzu won't eat she ate winalot for awhile but won't have that now I've even gone back to her first food (pedegree puppy dried food) but she won't have that, she refuses chichen/beef don't know what to do anymore short of a lethal injection as anyone got any sugestions. mollymuggles
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 04:46 PM

Just take her to the vet? Why would euthanasia cross your mind before... maybe going to the vet and finding out what's wrong?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 4, 2010, 04:54 PM

Your comment about lethal injection was horrible. I am hoping you meant something else. You must take her to the vet. Clearly something is wrong. How do you feed her? Do you put food down and then take it away or allow her to eat at her own will?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 12:12 PM

If I were you, I would take the pedigree away. Its bad for your dog... plus its got a lot of fillers in it. Not to mention it makes your dog smelly. When I ran out of food between paychecks, I would buy a bag of pedigree. My dogs loved it at first... after two days they would walk away from their bowls. It was almost as if they would eat it when they were absolutely starving.

If your looking for a cheaper food, there are tons out there that are good quality. Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul Adult food is pretty good... I believe its $35 for a 30 lb bag. For a small dog that will eat probably 2 cups a day, it'll last you for a long time...

My two young dogs will eat just about every meal.. My seniors will eat every couple meals. I don't find it a huge concern when dogs don't eat every day. A healthy dog doesn't need to eat for 5 days. After day 5 and energy is getting low, that is when you want to be concerned. Also if water intake is irregular, then be concerned. If your dog is just simply walking away after sniffing the food, then you find later that your dog is begging for your food... then it's the food.

Here is a website with great information on different dog foods... You will find that pedigree, iams, euk, and other "grocery" brands will be rated very low. Like I said, there are great dog foods out there that won't break the bank... Here's the website... Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble...

As for the lethal injection comment, I'm not too sure, and it seems like no one else is sure either, what you meant by that. Is your dog sick? If so, you should be talking to your vet. Just because a dog won't eat a certain food isn't grounds for putting the dog down. If anything, feeding a dog food that it doesn't like is a human error, not the dog.

Shop around for foods. Try not to switch foods too much, try to at least finish the 5lb bags that are available. Most pet stores will work with you as far as refunding money for dog food that your dog will absolutely not eat. Try to stay away from any food bought at wal-mart/target/or any other grocery store. Its not good food. Try not to buy the "popular' foods either, such as Iams, Euk, Science Diet etc... Definitely stay away from Pedigree, Ol Roy, Kibbles n Bits and beneful... those foods are actually poisonous...

I wish you luck in your search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My shih tzu puppy eat a full chicken bone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi please help my puppy eat a chicken bone a few hour ago she seems OK but I am so worried she is coufing a bit will she be OK over night please get bk asap if you can many thanks

New Shih Poo puppy won't eat? Any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my son a 7 week old Shih Poo puppy for Christmas. The problem is he hasn't eaten at all. He (after 4 days) ate a couple of bites of wet puppy food, but hasn't eaten since. I was told by the Vets office that he won't starve himself, but he seems very weak to me. Im very worried! Ive...

Lethargic Shih tzu won't eat or play [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, we just bought a 7 week old shih tzu today. It was quite docile at the breeder but we figured it was just his personality. He seemed to get lively a couple of times in the car, sitting up and panting but that was the most. We brought him home and spent a few hours with him and he wouldn't...

Why will my shih tzu not eat! [ 6 Answers ]

A week and a half ago I got 2 rescued shih tzus, one a girl and the other a boy he can eat anything going, but she hasn't ate any food at all, I've tried all different types of food dry, and tinned food , she just sniffs it and walks off. She is drinking lots of water , can you help me and see what...

New puppy won't eat ANYTHING for 2 days [ 7 Answers ]

All right, so my mom brought home this new puppy. A few weeks old, half chihuahua, half weenie dog. The first day we got her she was really energetic and chubby. Really normal. So we bought some purina puppy chow, and it was what the seller told us she ate. Well she ended up throwing up, and...

View more questions Search