Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ga1990 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
    How to clean C.I. to make a good connection
    I'm roughing in my basement bathroom... I've dug the trench and uncovered the old pipe which is looking pretty rough (my house was built in 1945). My question is, how can I ensure after I cut the pipe and piece in my PVC that I will get a good leak-free connection with the rubber couplers? Is there anyway to clean up the old cast iron?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Use a Rasp. Or heavy sand cloth
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2006, 06:19 AM
    "how can I ensure after I cut the pipe and piece in my PVC that I will get a good leak-free connection with the rubber couplers? Is there anyway to clean up the old cast iron?"

I use a wire brush to clean off the dirt and crud. I advse using No-Hub Bands to join the two instead of rubber couplings. Fernc Couplings are OK if you can strap and secure the pipes but a rubber coupling under the slab can sag and produce a bell in the joint. No-Hub Bands give the joint a more rigid connection. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ga1990
    I'm roughing in my basement bathroom...I've dug the trench and uncovered the old pipe which is looking pretty rough (my house was built in 1945). My question is, how can I ensure after I cut the pipe and piece in my PVC that I will get a good leak-free connection with the rubber couplers? Is there anyway to clean up the old cast iron?
    All of the other suggestions are great ones, but make sure there is no raised lettering or a casting seam at your tie-in point -- If there is, you can knock them down with an angle grinder or a file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something to clean and fix my registry [ 10 Answers ]

I'm using windows 98se and I'm a beginner and dn't know anything about editing or fixing problems that may or may not be in my registry. I'm looking for a program that will scan my registry and fix anything that may be wrong in it. Things that are left in my registry that are not needed. Is there a...

Sewer clean out [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought an old stone farm house. The contractor and previous owner recently abondanded the septic field and connected the house waste to the city sewer system. He did this after we bought the property. I observed that the sewer clean out junction was not a "t" connection but a "u" shaped...

How to Clean Vents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into a 45 year old home last summer. It has gas heat and central A/C. I doubt the vents have ever been cleaned. Is there a method to cleaning vents that can be done by the homeowner or does it need to be cleaned by a professional?

Clean out access options? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to anticipate a problem before it happens. (and then maybe it will never happen! ) I had a recent slow drain and was told about where to dig to find the clean out. I found the clean out about 10 inches below ground level. I'd like to put some kind of pipe or something over the clean...

View more questions Search