Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normierich Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Dec 24, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Engine Light
    Is it true that when your engine light comes on, it has nothing to do with how the car/engine is performing?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 24, 2008, 07:26 AM

Well, yes and no... It can mean there is an issue. Sometime it can be a major problem, in which case you will notice the cars performance (or it dies or won't start). But it can also mean that its time to change the oil :)

What kind of car is it? (year, make, model)
    normierich Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Dec 24, 2008, 07:31 AM
    It's a 2001 Chevy Malibu, with a 3.1 V6 engine
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 09:00 AM

The Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when there's a problem affecting emissions. Most of the time, it indicates a problem with the engine and/or transmission. Anytime the CEL comes on, get the codes stored in the ECU's memory read right away. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 24, 2008, 09:36 AM

(cant rep u again tx)

I agree, especially with a chevy.. typically emissions
    More specifically - I'm putting $10 that's its an O2 sensor :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 toyota sequoia,check engine light on,& trac off lighton.&vso trac light on. [ 16 Answers ]

2003 toyota seuoia. Check engine light on.and traco off light on as well as vso trac light on. I had in shop 4 weeks ago same problem they said it was gas cap not on tight, I tried that today but did not make light go off, help if you can thank you dan

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

Engine light and battery light on sametime [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 06 fatboy and just changed the battery the engine light and battery light stays on any thought

Rough Idle/Miss when engine light comes on; light comes on and goes out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1998 Ford F150 Pickup with the V-6 engine. I am getting three codes P0174 (system too lean on bank 2), P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire), P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire). My truck has a very rough idle, but at times the engine light will go off and the truck will idle perfectly. When the light...

Engine light comes on [ 4 Answers ]

Toyota Echo is running great. Engine light came on. Disconnected the negative battery And reset. Light stays off for three weeks. But now its on again?? When engine light comes on in cars. Does it have something to do with oil Pressure and the pump. Years ago we had oil pressure gauges on...

View more questions Search