Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susy Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Physical custody
    What would be the reason for a judge to decide to take away the physical custody for one parent to the other??
    I'm a college student, and I don't work. However my husband work. If I get divorced, can the judge give the physical custody of my baby to my husband just because I am not working? I am a good mother, and I can demonstrate it. Does that count? Thank you.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 30, 2006, 08:32 PM
    There are a lot of underlying circumstances that a judge has to take into consideration.
    He will do what is best for the child.
    I believe that he can possibly take your kid and give to your husband if you can not prove you have sufficient income to properly take care of your kid.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Or the judge might split it down the middle.

3 days you have physical custody, then 4 days for him, then 4 days for you, then 3 days for him, etc.

There are many factors.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

May 31, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Judges usually don't "take away" custody; the parents do that themselves.

Why would you think that this might happen? Has your ex-husband threatened to seek sole custody? Has anyone threatened to call the Department of Children? If you are a full-time student without a job, how do you plan to pay your expenses? Child support only goes so far.

Unless one parent does something extremely egregious, I believe the current thought is joint custody. In your case, being a student without a job, your ex-husband may have the child during the week and you on weekends.

But in the meantime, be sure that you model excellent behavior and parenting styles.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2006, 02:55 PM
    The judge will in custody matters decide what he thinks is best for the child.
    They will look at housing, care for the child, living conditions, the ability of each parent to care for the child. What level of care or visitation has either done with the child in the past.

Also if you are not working and can not afford an attorney, and he can afford an attorney, they will even try to do legal tricks and motions to win if you don't have an attorney.

Often of course they allow as mentioned joint custody, with listed days and times each parent will have the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 years MIA file for legal physical custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that it is possible for my daughters father to file for legal physical custody of my daughter who he has not seen in 2 and a half years and he is not on her birth certificate (as of yet-his choice)... he was emotionally abusive to me and has never respected her... even terrorized...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

Physical Custody [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the reason for a judge to decide to take away the physical custody for one parent to the other?? I'm a college student, and I don't work. However my husband work. If I get divorced, can the judge give the physical custody of my baby to my husband just because I am not working? I am...

Physical, And Other Problems [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so I shaved my pubes the other day, LOTS OF ITCHING! God it hurts! And now all of a sudden I just remembered I have to go to a physical in like a week for wrestling... And I have a bumpy bald groin... :eek: what to do?

View more questions Search