Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdgrajeda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 12:52 AM
    1991 Honda problem staying started
    Here's my problem:
    1991 Honda Accord starts when key is turn, but stalls just as quickly. After car has sat for a while, it will turn on and run. My friend is having the same problem with her 91 honda accord. Mine is a 5 speed, hers is an automatic.
    When this first starting happening, I had the fuel pump and gas filter in the tank replaced, but several hours after driving it, the same thing happen. I really haven't noticed if it is really weather related. It has happen on cold and hot days. Does this sound like a "main relay" problem? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Oh, the last time it did this, I kept the key turned a little longer than I usually do and it stayed running, my husband thought this had nothing to do with it. It hasn't happen in several days, so I haven't been able to try it again. But I know, as soon as I run into a gas station or a 7-11 store for a quick stop, it will happen again!
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 2, 2006, 04:49 AM
    This might be caused by a bad main relay, as well as a faulty ignition switch. I'd have your husband read the FAQ here and try to resolder the main relay first, and if that fails, I'd have him check the ignition switch.

Try doing this: turn the key to position "II" and listen for a humming sound in the trunk (it's your fuel pump working), and after that you'll hear a *click* under your dash. If that click is heard, your car will most likely start. If you do not hear a *click* your car will most likely stall as soon as you start it, or will not start at all.

Another thing - your main relay has to cool off if you've driven your car, allowing it's joints to "shrink" a bit and conduct electricity again. To speed this up, open your doors when it won't start. Main relay is located left of your left knee (when you sit in the driver's seat) and opening the door will allow cold air to reach it sooner.

The thing is that hot weather outside means that the inside of your car will get pretty hot, and will cause main relay's joints to "widen" (sorry, I'm missing the right word here) and not conduct electricity the way it should. It can also happen on cold days, if you turn on heavy heating inside your car.

On a side note - I'm pretty confident this is only a main relay issue. If you need any more help, do feel free to write here or contact me on Yahoo or ICQ. You have my details in my profile.
    rdgrajeda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 10:50 PM
    Thanks for replying. We will try doing this, this weekend. So far it's been staying on.

Roberta
    bobbyboy2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Really helpful answer My Honda accord 1991 won't start in a hot day 110 F so inside the car was 130 and I was really worry because before my car was running perfect.. I try to start on checking the sparkplugs wires moving and pushing all conectors and nothing works and my batery dying.. I read the solution and check the main relay and look's okey but won't start.. I read the manual and say to check the MAIN RELAY put a jumper wire between wires number 5 and 7 and start the car and magic start running... after that I took off the wire and my car still working fine... TRY IT...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Problems 1991 Honda CRX [ 2 Answers ]

1. Runs hot (almost overheats) in hot weather--only when the air conditioning is on. 2. Brake pedal very spongy/goes all the way to the floor, only in hot weather and car is warmed up (and even then not all the time). Otherwise the brakes work fine. Any ideas?

1991 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic,4 Cylinder, Standard 5 Speed Transmission, 4-Door, not an SI, with 95,000 miles on it. I just recently purchased it. It will crank but will not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he has been trying to get it running for me (for free) but I am getting...

1991 Honda No Start [ 2 Answers ]

I am working on a 1991 Honda Civic with a 1.6L. It does not start. The distibutor went out. I then replaced it. The car ran for three weeks. Then it died. Now there is no spark again. When I openned the distributor cap it looked like there was a lot of back feeding or something. The new cap...

View more questions Search