Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoyokerk Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 11:25 PM
    Kids don't like new partner
    What do you do if your kids 16 and 14 do not want you to date. What if they absolutely do not want you to date one particular person, and you are madly in love?:( :( :(
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Feb 21, 2006, 03:55 AM
    Remember that the kids will be out of the house in four years it will be just you do you want to be alone

I have a sister in the same position you are her kids are 16, 15, and 14
    She told them that if they can date she can

Just make sure that you do not let the person be there in the morning when they get up
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Hi, yoyo,
    Please, if you haven't already, sit down with your kids, talk with them, and since you already know they don't want you dating, tell them it makes you happy, and that they will have to accept it, sooner or later.
    You have a life also, and can't continue not seeing others, just because your kids don't want you to.
    The person you date, if you bring him home, or if he is around your kids, needs to know beforehand that they have a problem with you dating. He should "bend over backwards" to be nice to them, and hopefully, they will eventually like him.
    I do wish you the very best of luck.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 21, 2006, 08:26 AM
    As a step-parent, I can relate...

The kids are probably concerned about their mother/father, losing attention from you, what the new person will be like, and just the change in their lives that will occur.

It really will take a great deal of talking to get to the heart of the matter, but I can assure you that once it is dealt with, your children will be happy that you are happy, even if they dislike your new friend.

Of course, your new friend will need to be making an extra effort to get along and not be seen as taking over everyone's lives.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 08:30 AM
    I will agree with about everyone so far, sit down with them, explain it and so on. Also let them know that dating is not getting married by any length and that you have a right to be happy also.

But in the end, they are kids and you are the parent, so you tell them how it is going to be if they like it or not.

And as a word though. After I lost my wife (I always used to joke if someone had found her yet) but I started dating, some good, and some bod dates. But I waited for my youngest to graduate and be old enough to move out on his own if he wanted to before I got married again.
    I did not want to cause the problems of a step parent into a household

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a partner [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house with a partner. Both names are on the deed. She has not met her end of the financial responsibility. How can I evict her or sell the property. The loans are in my name.

My teens do not like my partner [ 17 Answers ]

I feel hopeless, my kids have virtually pushed my partner out of their lives and mine. Now I have to sneak around to see her. What should I do? Should I stop seeing this person that I love, just because my teenagers have told me so? I am very confused... yoyokerk:( :( :(

Partner is potentially suicidal [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend/partner is going through a very rough time and has had suicidal thoughts. When he gets like that, he feels that there is nothing good in his life and nothing will ever get better. He doesn't "hear" me when I tell him I love him and will stand by him and I think he's a wonderful...

My partner has a problem! [ 11 Answers ]

Ok - this is a really delicate subject which I need to help my boyfriend with - but I am not sure how to. My boyfriend is having problems when it comes to sex - and he is unable to actually go all the way. The foreplay is great - but for some reason he cannot actually go any further. I am not...

View more questions Search