Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Feb 13, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Letting go and moving on
    I'm ready to get over my ex. A part of me still wants to hold on to her and hold out hope that we'll be together again. But the truth is I can't stay in the place I am in any more. Maybe someday down the road we'll get back together again but I know I can't wait/depend on that. It still hurts that we don't really talk anymore after we were so close for 2 years and that she basically cut me out of her life. I know this isn't the end of the world and ill be OK but I just haven't realized that yet. The no contact thing was hard for a while, but its been getting easier. I don't feel the need to talk to her any more. But the pain is still there... I still don't understand how all of a sudden she can't talk to me after 2 years. Anyway, I want to start dating again but I don't think I'm ready for a relationship. I want to be though, I want to be over her and not have to worry about it anymore. I want to be NORMAL again. I want to be able to enjoy my life again. How can I push her out of my head and stop worrying if we'll get back together or not? How can I forget her and move on?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 06:15 PM
    It takes time.

Eventually you will be able to move past this. Give it some time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 07:14 PM
    It takes time,

For now, just start dating, you dont'' have to get seroius or anything, just start seeing some other people and it will help.
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Feb 13, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Thanks yea I know it takes time but its been over 2 months. I'm so pissed at myself because the other week I was so strong and didn't really care about it. I didn't want her back at all. I'm still not sure if I do so why am I still torn up about it? Maybe because valentine's day is coming up I don't know. Just wish I could be through all this already
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 13, 2006, 10:50 PM
    "It's better to light one wee candle, than curse the dark."

If you really do want to get over her, the best thing to do is stop dwelling on her and do something else that moves you on with your life. You need to actively work on a positive mental attitude, and take action to move on.

Whatever your conscious mind dwells on, your subconscious mind exasperates. If you dwell on how you're not ready for a relationship, your subconscious mind will help you come up with all the proof you need. If you're thinking about what great things await you in your future, your subconscious mind will be creative about the possibilities.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Feb 14, 2006, 02:23 AM
    There is nothing wrong with still having feelings for this girl.

Call some of your friends and go out. Drink a little, dine a little, talk to other ladies (nothing heavy).

Been there done that, the feelings will fade, but never go away. Put her in the back of your mind, close the door to that part of your life. I still have feelings for both my ex-wives (8'ish and 17'ish years) but not the sort of feelings to get back together permanently.

Enjoy life, it sure isn't long enough!

Great quote from the film "3 men and a baby":

"So many women so little time"
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Hi, Lost,
    If it's been two months and you are still feeling hurt, you must love this person very much. It took me a year to get over someone, many years ago.
    Eight weeks isn't a very long time. Eventually, it will get better, please believe me.
    As others have said, talking with other girls helps tremendously to take your mind off her for a little while. Later on, you will think less and less about it, but probably will never forget her completely.
    After 46 years, I still remember my "first loves", especially the one it took me a year to get over! Best of luck, and hang in there.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 03:42 PM
    The longest it tookl me was 7 months. I'll never let that happen again - it was about 10 years agao. You need to build barriers and have other things in life... two of my passions are my work and working out + great friends + my family... I have a great lady right now, but if she left for what ever reason, I'd be Ok and put more time into my other pursuits - golf and skiing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble letting go of the past [ 8 Answers ]

I had the perfect relationship once & was in love, but it went sour. Since I have done so many things I'm not proud of. & would scare anyone away from me & I can't bring myself to talk about or confess to. I have found it so difficult to find happiness & feel its my karma to walk alone in...

Letting him down gently [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a really stupid situation. I separated from my partner of 6 years almost 2 years ago. I was devastated and knew I couldn't stay near him immediately following the break up so I worked abroad for a year and a half. Now I've moved back to where my ex is living (we have many mutual friends and...

Legality of letting people download Free MP3's [ 3 Answers ]

What are the consequences of letting people download mp3's for free. Even though the artist is foreign and is dead? THank you!!

Letting Peircings Close Up? [ 2 Answers ]

I just got my ears peirced, and the holes are on completely different spots on each earlobe. One hole is perfectly in the middle of my earlobe and the other is lower and closer to my head, in the fatter part of my lobe. Anyway, being a perfectionist, this bothers me a lot. The misplaced hole...

View more questions Search