Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nothappyinmichigan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Dentist office refuses payment
    Can a dentist office in the state of Michigan refuse payment on a bill. I owe aprox. 850.00 and I sent them 200.00 and said I would pay 200.00 a month until balance was paid in full. They sent my check back and refused payment. Said they needed full amount owed in 30 days. I am not sure if this makes a difference , but the dentist that did the work died and they said they need to pay his estate. Is this legal for them to do? Does this void the debt? I have refusal of payment in writing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nothappyinmichigan
    Can a dentist office in the state of michigan refuse payment on a bill. I owe aprox. 850.00 and I sent them 200.00 and said I would pay 200.00 a month until balance was paid in full. They sent my check back and refused payment. Said they needed full amount owed in 30 days. I am not sure if this makes a difference , but the dentist that did the work died and they said they need to pay his estate. Is this legal for them to do? Does this void the debt? I have refusal of payment in writing.

Unfortunately the Dentist's office is not a bank. What was your original payment agreement? They can't change that. If they agreed to payments they are still bound by that agreement.

But they can refuse payments and take you to Court. It is possible that they are trying to settle the estate and don't want to wait any longer. (I have no way of knowing how old this debt is.)

If you have always paid on time and that hasn't been a problem I don't know why they would refuse $200 now and then 3 monthly $200 payments plus $50. Their legal fees will cost more than that if they pursue you.

This certainly does not void the debt.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 27, 2008, 10:44 PM
    AS a small business owner, I am required by law (I had businesses in many states) to accept ANY amount that a customer offers as payment against an outstanding account. I would contact your local Better Business Bureau and also consult with an atty.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007
    AS a small business owner, I am required by law (I had businesses in many states) to accept ANY amount that a customer offers as payment against an outstanding account. I would contact your local Better Business Bureau and also consult with an atty.

Wonder what State the OP is in? I am in NYS and this is not the case - you cannot create a "payments on account contract" if that was not your original agreement.

Which States allow it?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 05:56 AM
    You probably signed a contract like any doctors office or hospital has

All the IF"s -- AND's -- BUTTS -- You pay or we sue -- you sue us --

We sue you... They probably have you by the contract

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First line creditor refuses payment [ 8 Answers ]

My mortgager,Chase Manhatten J.P.Morgan, has refused a payment that was on time( I have postal records to prove this) and the have declared me in default,and set up an auction on my home. I have heard of a "notice of default" does this pertain to first line creditors? If so what statute covers this...

Mortgage company refuses payment [ 8 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I live in NJ. I took out a home equity of about 1/5 of my house value. Unforturnately I went with what I now believe was a predetory loan company. They convinced us to go with them and promised a low rate. I even got it in writing. Than right before we were to close they...

Creditor refuses partial payment [ 4 Answers ]

If I send in a payment to a place I owe money to and they refuse to take it, what can I do if they say the want more money or they want it in full?

Nasty Collector Refuses Payment [ 3 Answers ]

We have been dealing with this awful woman for months now, with threats of garnishment, imprisonment, and generally nasty insults. After a call this morning, we decided to just use our income tax check to pay off the debt completely. However, when we told her that would be sending her a post dated...

View more questions Search