Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stac33 Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2007, 12:38 PM
    High blood pressure and libido.
    Does having high blood pressure decrease libido or does the medication for it decrease it? My husband's blood pressure is elevated recently and I have also noticed a lack of desire. Plus he's always tired. He works pretty long hours, but he is tired ALL THE TIME. Are any of these things related. He is not on any medication.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
    It's been stated by medical studes that HBP can lead to ED. Perhaps he is feeling tired due to HBP and embarrassed by ED he does not want to fail in performance.

I would definitely suggest a physician take care of this before he has a heart attack
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 01:07 PM
    HTN (hypertension) can very well cause erectile dysfunction. HTN is a disorder that effects the majority of the systems in the body and can be damaging to the body if left untreated.

If your husband's BP has been elevated he needs to be seen by a physician to find out if it is primary (can be taken care of and possibly controlled by diet) or if it secondary (caused by some other factor).

Please have him make a doctor's appointment.

Nov 20, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    HTN (hypertension) can very well cause erectile dysfunction. HTN is a disorder that effects the majority of the systems in the body and can be damaging to the body if left untreated.

If your husband's BP has been elevated he needs to be seen by a physician to find out if it is primary (can be taken care of and possibly controlled by diet) or if it secondary (caused by some other factor).

Please have him make a doctor's appointment.

We have sex and right now he has no problems. Although it does take a little longer for him to get an erection. He's almost 35. To some people it probably doesn't take long and to some it might. I realize he's no longer 18 and that age has a lot to do with it. I'm really freaking out because sex is very important to me and I'm worried that is he goes on high blood pressure medication then he won't be able to get it up or something. Don't get me wrong sex is not the be all end all, but it IS important.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Get him to see his physician. His physician can suggest medication if necessary for both HBP and ED. Erections are possible well into older years.

I don't think his declining desire is in you as you both are enjoying each other but perhaps he's not ready to admit nor get help for his health challenges.

This situation could also be mentally challenging as he is aware of your sexual desires. He might be feeling his age and doesn't want to admit it.

Nov 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Well I just don't feel as though he has ED as of now. I am just concerned that he might. Can having HBP itself cause problems or is it the meds that cause the problems?
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
    HBP can damage the operation of the plumbing required to create an erection-he is better off getting the HBP fixed first! Otherwise if I was you I wouldn't worry about erections... I'd be worried about death!

If he is overweight, and in bad health-they will contribute more to erection problems tha medication for HBP!

Prevention is better than cure in this case.

BTW 35 is not old enough (in general, for erectile problems-as in age related conditions).

His job perhaps needs to go.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Either or actually. HTN can cause erectile problems, but so can the meds. It all depends on what meds he is put on. But if he has HPB/HTN, he most certainly should be on meds if you want him around for a while.

Nov 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    HBP can damage the operation of the plumbing required to create an erection-he is better off getting the HBP fixed first! otherwise if I was you I wouldn't worry about erections....I'd be worried about death!

if he is overweight, and in bad health-they will contribute more to erection problems tha medication for HBP!

prevention is better than cure in this case.

BTW 35 is not old enough (in general, for erectile problems-as in age related conditions).

his job perhaps needs to go.
    I totally agree with you. I don't want anything to happen to him. He is not overweight and is in good health other than HBP. The doctor did put him on medication. A type of water pill or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Blood Pressure [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody here have heard of any significant decrease in blood pressure with any natural medications or any foods? I for one have heard that eating raw garlic and celery has properties in it that help decrease blood pressure. Today and other days that I have checked my blood pressure and...

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that by drinking a class of red wine helps lower your bloods pressure, is that true, if so, which red wines are the sweetest and taste more like fruit?

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have high blood pressure when I eat a meal I have very high readings every time I have a meal It looks like sodium is causing the problems, I am on blood pressure medicine not really getting any help from my doctor,help me please

High blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Can the use of testerone and hgh cause high blood pressure?

View more questions Search