Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxvickyxx Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Starving horse
    Hi,

Im not sure what to do. You see near where my friend lives there is a horse in a field. The field isn't very big, the horses ribs are showing a bit, when it comes near it has something on its nose (not sure what it is) also:confused: its all on it own and it had a bath which did have water in probably a long time ago whereas now its just all green. I feel so tight on it what should I do??
    xxvickyxx Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Also it isn't looked after obviously and it has no stable or anything like that!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Call the local police. I'm not sure what country you are in, but I'm going to guess that nearly all have animal cruelty laws.

If you are in the US, PETA or your local humane society will help. Look in the phone book under animal shelters.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
    If this happens in the area where I live, people call animal control and the situation will quickly be investigated and taken care of.
    bundles Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Sep 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
    The first thing I would do if you don't know much about horses is find someone who knows about horses to go and have a look and get there opinion of if its in bad health or not. If they think it is bad then ring a animal rescue place (I don't know what you call them over there but here it is the RSPCA).
    The worsts thing you could do if you are a bit unsure is jump to conclusions. I am not say do nothing, just do a bit of research first it helps because some time things are not what they seem an example this is;
    Where I live in summer its nothing for it to reach 40 degrees celsius plus (104 F +) it is a very dry heat, because of this we always have white cotton rugs on our horses especially the darker ones because it reflex the sun making them cooler and it also stop flies and things annoying them, one day my friend had a very nasty letter dropped in her mail box saying cruel she was for having rugs on her horses on such a hot day and they were going to report her to the RSPCA, but what these people didn't realise it is actually crueler to leave them off.

I hope it all turns out OK for the horse and its good to see that people still care for about out four legged companions.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Something needs to be done now.You should first go and find this horse some water,but if you do not know these people you will probably need to call someone.If you are worried about calling someone just stop and think about how much pain this horse is in,and it should be easier.Let us know what happens.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Hey, contact someone now, this is not right. I would do it for you if I could. This is terrible. Call your local sheriff's dept. they should know who to contact.
    Don't wait, do it now.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 23, 2007, 08:25 PM
    I agree with all above... until someone gets there to assess the problem, try giving the horse some water and try to see if it will eat (like apples or carrots). You are right for having concern on this matter. People so often think horses can go without care for days... that is just cruel. I wouldn't go on the property, because someone owns it and the horse, and they could retaliate by pressing trespass charges. Try to get the horse to come to the fence.
    Good luck.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Oct 13, 2007, 11:19 PM
    The SPCA or ASPCA will help. I hope the neglectful creep gets nailed. Vicky Call some help in for this poor horse and get this jerk. You won't regret it.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I've trained and owned many abused and neglected horses over the years and here a little help to allow you to somewhat assess the horses health. I hope it helps. Just remember. Having someone who knows horses take a look at it is the best thing to do before making a move.
    1 sign a horse is malnourished. : Bones are visible, with no fatty tissue felt (if you can get up close enough to touch it) you would be able to see all vertebrae (all the ridges)
    2: a horses eyes should be clear and bright without discharge. Eyes should not be glazed or have a dull appearance.
    3: horses that are not healthy often not bright or alert with their ear expressions. (ears droopy and relaxed show a sign of boredom, sleeping,relaxation or resting. Ears should be erect and forward if in a curious or content state. Ears pinned back is aggression or irritation)
    4: Dehydration : a horse can get very sick from dehydration. It can cause many problems including colic. A horse can dehydrate very quickly (snow is not an adequate form of water) there is an easy test to tell if a horse is hydrated or not. Its called the skin fold test.This is done by pinching a fold of skin on a horses neck and pulling it out (tenting it) then releasing it. Count the seconds it takes for the skin to go back. If the skin goes back between half and one full second the horse is fine. If the skin stays in the tented position it is very dehydrated.

Some signs of neglect include:

Visible ribs and hip bones ( I mentioned)

Dull coat and glazed eyes ( I mentioned)

Untended, overgrown hooves

Lethargic manner

Symptoms of horses in need of veterinary care are:

Limping

Reluctance to move

Unusual discharge from eyes, nose, or mouth

Weakness or distress

A “sawhorse” stance — legs planted out in front

Rolling or Thrashing – Symptom of possible colic

Symptoms of an overworked or abused horse include:

Cuts and welts

Spur marks

Tack sores, including those from blankets left on too long (but these can happen from ill fitted tack also not just abuse or neglect)

Extreme fear, depression, or distrust

I do seriously hope this helps. I think you should get someone else's opinion and then... if all seems to turn to the worst contact your nearest humane society

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weedeater blower starving for gas [ 5 Answers ]

I have a weedeater brand that will run when I pour gas into the carburetor and will sometimes run a little on choke. When I try to open it up it dies. I don't think it is getting enough gas. I took the carb apart and cleaned it and it helped.

Starving dog [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lab and chow mix. He's 13 years old. He stopped eating 2 days ago. I give him dry food and mix some canned food. Then I gave him his favorite food , chicken. He just won't eat anything. Help!

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Greiving horse [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the...

Weight loss without starving [ 2 Answers ]

Can any one recommend any weight loss diet plans where I can loss at least 10 pounds with out starveing myself LOL P.S. if any one has any questions about cars I can help

View more questions Search