Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonnalean Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
    My daughter wants a bunny
    I am trying to do some research on bunnies. Any help would be great. My daughter is 10 and would be the main care giver for a bunny. What types of things to they play with how often does the cage or surroundings need to be cleaned. How big of a cage or area do we need? Are there any specific types or rabbits that are better for children?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 07:30 PM
    The bigger the cage the better. Keeping their cage clean is a chore because they *poop* a ton. Many people keep them in cages outdoors but really hot or really cold temperatures can kill them.
    Some people leave them run lose in the house sometimes but they WILL chew things especially electrical cords.
    Here is a site that might help you

ASPCA: Pet Care: Rabbit Care
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Bunny's can be litter box trained.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Bunnies are wonderful. They are quiet vegetarians. However, if you like to keep things clean a lot of your time will go to cleaning up and directing your daughter. I kept mine in the laundry room after losing too many electrical cords. They shed tons of hair.

Get a baby and work with it if you plan to use a litter box. Bunnies respond well to positive reinforcement. The rabbits I had were adopted as adults. One of them bit my ten-year-old a couple of times because she would not leave it alone when it "asked" to be alone.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Here's the website for the House Rabbit Society. You can find a lot of good information and resources there. House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
    As most of you know, I have 4 bunnies. Here's some of the things I've learned, from websites, other bunny owners, and hands on experience.

First of all, whatever breed you get, have your bunny spayed or neutered, it will prolong the rabbits life, prevent spraying and aggression (not all aggression, some rabbits are just aggressive, but it will help).

Outdoor rabbits have an average lifespan of around 3 years, indoor, depending on the breed, can live up to 12 years.

Do not get a cage with a grate bottom but one with a solid base. The grate bottom is easier to clean, but it's hard on a rabbits feet.

Litter box training is simple, and will make the cage stay cleaner longer.

If you choose to keep your bunny indoors then cleaning the cage once a day is best, it will prevent smell. Also, if done daily, it's a minor chore, instead of a weekly major cleanup.

Timothy hay is a must everyday. A water bottle, and a good food source. Carrots are treats, they should not be given daily as they can cause stomach problems.

A bunny that's handled allot is a tame bunny. Also, rabbits are social animals, if you do not plan on spending allot of time with your bunny, then consider getting two so that they can keep each other company. Most SPCA's that house bunny's have pairs that have already been bonded. If not, bonding is easy and I can post that info for you if you want.

Rabbits love toys, and some of the best toys are cheap. A toilet paper roll stuffed with timothy hay, a used phone book (this can entertain and relieve stress, it's not harmful to the bunny). Pet store do have toys for bunny's, but do your research, just because a pet store sells it, doesn't mean it's safe for the bunny. Do not ever ask for advice from a pet store about your bunny, most employees know very little about these animals.

Rabbits are wonderful pets, but they need time, patience, and understanding. Remember, bunny's are adorable when little, but like all baby animals, they do grow up. If you are going to get a bunny then be ready to commit for 12 years or more, too many of these animals are relinquished to the pound or SPCA because people do not do the research before adopting them.

There's so much more I could say. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

And now I get to try and sava a rabbits life. Please consider adopting a bunny from your local SPCA. These rabbits are usually spayed or neutered before being put up for adoption, that can be a considerable savings. Also, the price to purchase the bunny is usually considerably less than at a pet store. And the major bonus, you're saving a life.

As for breed. Lionhead Dwarfs are very tame, so are rex's (they're the ones mostly used by magicians because of their intelligence and calmness). Lop eared aren't the best for kids. There are many breeds, do some research and check your SPCA, I'm sure you'll find a good match for you and your family.

Good luck. :)

Sorry for the long post.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnalean
    My daughter is 10 and would be the main care giver for a bunny.
    Before you get the bunny, think about what you are going to do if your daughter does not take care of the bunny. She is 10, and kids are famous for agreeing to do everything for a new pet, and then failing to follow through once they actually have it. Ultimately, you will be the person responsible for this pet, so make sure you want to have that responsibility before you get it.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2008, 03:27 PM
    At least with bunnies, if it doesn't work out you can always have it for dinner.:)

My grandfather lived on a farm with livestock and food and raised a few rabbits for personal consumption. I was told it was chicken when I first ate it. Not bad tasting.

When I was small, I had a bunny, dogs, mice, a turtles (box and small), goldfish, tropical fish and a newt as pets. In my early 20's my girlfriend had a litter box trained bunny.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    At least with bunnies, if it doesn't work out you can always have it for dinner.:)

My grandfather lived on a farm with livestock and food and raised a few rabbits for personal consumption. I was told it was chicken when I first ate it. Not bad tasting.

When I was small, I had a bunny, dogs, mice, a turtles (box and small), goldfish, tropical fish and a newt as pets. In my early 20's my gf had a litter box trained bunny.

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. ;)

Could you eat this;

Name:  bunny 004.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  2.7 KB

That's my baby Cotton, a lionhead dwarf, he's 1 1/2 years old. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
    So, that's what that is, a bunny. It's really cute.

Mom always has the option of saying "You better take care of YOUR bunny, otherwise we'll have it for dinner".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bunny Bites [ 1 Answers ]

I got a new bunny for my birthday, and it is what I always wanted.:D But now I have my bunny and it is mean, it bites and it isn't fixed so it sprays. :( I am afraid that my bunny doesn't like me, because it bites me every chance it gets and every time I get near its cage it runs or hides. Does...

Outside bunny Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My rabbit lives in my garage, he seems very happy but I do have one problem. My garage is not heated, when it gets very cold I bring him in the house until the cold snap lets up a bit, the problem is I can not keep his water from freezing. Anybody have any ideas?

Bunny won't get out his box [ 3 Answers ]

Ive just got my bunny from the RSPCA and he's absolutely lovely and he's eating and washing and drinking and all the usual stuff but he won't step foot outside his litter box in my kitchen unless I take him out (which I've only done once because I had to clean his box out) It seems wherever you put...

Bunny won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a bunny at this fair yesterday. The lady that gave me her said that if she didn't get rid of her bunnys that she was going to kill them. So she gave me one now I have this animal I know anothing about want to learn more.. I have not noticed her eat or drink at all.. she was man handled...

View more questions Search