Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I need some suggestions.
    A coworker of my husband has asked me if I would watch her little girl all this week. She asked me how much I charge and I am completely stumped. No one has been wiling to pay me for babysitting since I was a teenager.

How much would you guys charge for babysitting one kid for one week (M-F)?

**EDIT** - If it helps, the licensed child care workers in my area charge between $150-$250 a week (very expensive, in my opinion anyways) and I am not licensed. Hopefully that helps and gives you all something to go by.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Hi Star... I charge... $3.50 per hour or $500.00 a month for full time... I guess $125.00 for a week... It really adds up and I am cheap. Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Hi Star.....I charge....$3.50 per hour or $500.00 a month for full time....I guess $125.00 for a week.....It really adds up and I am cheap. Good luck!
    Thank you so much start. People usually just drop their kids off and leave and don't give me anything when they come and pick them up, so I'm not used to the idea of someone paying me.. lol :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:34 PM
    It can do you some good to be appreciated... I would never... I mean NEVER ask anyone to watch the kids unless I was capable of repaying them in watching theirs, a gift or money... Stand up straight and give it to them...
    There have been a few "emergencies" that I had to tend to like Jett's broken arm or a school pick up that I needed the lady across the street to watch my kids for a few.. Before I came home, I bought a gift cert. for dinner and told the m I would watch their kids when they decided to go use it... And I did. A favor is one thing but watching kids every day for a week can really tire you out. I would charge cheap... but I would at least charge! Good luck sweet...
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Keep in mind that I do this now for a living, when I didn't all the kids were already at my house! LOLOLOL
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
    You are so nice! There is one little girl I used to watch, and all her mom would give me was the words "same time tomorrow"... lol. I don't like to be confrontational so I was always like "okie dokie".

The little girl I am watching right now though is very good, and her mom is very nice.

Thanks for the help! :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:40 PM
    You are welcome. I felt like that before I did daycare... now they love to pay me cause if they didn't it wouldn't be the same time tomorrow! LOL I hope you enjoy your little company that will be there. Should be fun! Hugs, Start
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Sep 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
    About 6 years ago I was making $50 a week to watch a neighbor's little girl 4 hours 5 days a week. I'm not sure if it was really worth it because I had to feed her and take an extra trip to the school to pick her up.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    About 6 years ago I was making $50 a week to watch a neighbor's little girl 4 hours 5 days a week. I'm not sure if it was really worth it because I had to feed her and take an extra trip to the school to pick her up.
    See that's what I'm trying to keep in mind. I don't have to drive her anywhere or anything like that, but I do have to feed her (obviously.. lol) and I'm watching her from about 2 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. so about 9 1/2 hours a day.

She told my husband that she might want me for more than just this week too, so I don't know.. lol. I'm thinking between $100 and $125, but I don't want to charge too much. I would feel bad because she's only an airman and I know they don't make that much, my hubby was there at one point.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Here, there are people charging 700 dollars a month... I just can't do that. I thought 500 was high, but when you add the food and care and toys and love and energy and the food again... it all adds up so 500 has worked real nicely.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Here, there are people charging 700 dollars a month...I just can't do that. I thought 500 was high, but when you add the food and care and toys and love and energy and the food again...it all adds up so 500 has worked real nicely.
    There are some here that charge $250 a week for one kid. That is so ridiculous. That equals out to $1000 a month! Ouch! I swear some people here work, just to pay for child care. It seems pointless.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
    That is some of the reason why I am so cheap... my heart goes out to those who have no choice but to put their kids in care. That is who I do daycare for... It sure has been nice staying home with the kids. I am one lucky mom...
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Sep 17, 2007, 05:11 PM
    My suggestion would be $75 a week. I think its fair.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Sep 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    See thats what i'm trying to keep in mind. I dont have to drive her anywhere or anything like that, but I do have to feed her (obviously..lol) and I'm watching her from about 2 p.m. - 11:30 p.m., so about 9 1/2 hours a day.

She told my husband that she might want me for more than just this week too, so I dont know..lol. I'm thinking between $100 and $125, but i dont want to charge too much. I would feel bad because she's only an airman and I know they dont make that much, my hubby was there at one point.

If you will be keeping her from 2-11:30pm you will probably be feeding her a snack as well as dinner. Also, won't you be bathing her and getting her to sleep too? I know you want to be fare but that is long hours and it won't leave much alone time for you. With those hours it will almost be like you're raising her. You said it will only be a week but be careful that you don't charge too little or the mother might take advantage of your cheep rate which in the long run may not be worth what it cost you to keep her. I am so glad I never had to work those hours when my son was young. When dose she ever get to see the kid?
    JamieLynn Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Sep 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
    WOW only 125 a week. I used to make $150 for baby sitting a golden retreiver and pitbull for one weekend. That was what he offered. And he lives in a trailer park and has no job. He went to the indian reservation everyother weekend (hes native american) Ive never baby sitted a child (just my own) but I would think you should get more than I do for walking and feeding a couple dogs, kids are harder to care for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Suggestions? [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm only 16 and I think I could be pregnant... im not sure though... My last period was on March 26 2007... I started BC on April 1st 2007 and I stopped taking it on April 6th 2007... would it have been effective?? Well anywayzz I had sex on April 6th... Then on April 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th and...

Suggestions anyone [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: okay so 15 years old and I want to go into nursing when I finish high school. But I don't know which one to pick does anybody have some good suggestions and something that will pay somewhat of good money

Any Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so my boyfriend and I have sex mutiple times. He never wears a condom, and he doesn't orgasm easily and I can't find his hot spots so it take a while for him to get up... any suggestions? Pleaseee?

Need some suggestions, Please. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for 4 months, next month is his 40 birthday. Anyone have any great Ideas on what I can do, I would really like to top my Christmas present to him, (football tickets to go and watch his favorite team play for him and a friend, plus airfare and hotel.) I really would...

Any more suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't started anything to lighten my under arms. I have been reading all your experieces and greatly appreiate your input. I'm medium/dark tan skin and have pretty dark underarms, knees and inner thighs. This has always been an issue for me and have waited too long to do something about...

View more questions Search