Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gandeweg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2013, 06:55 PM
    I can't completely shut off the shower
    I can't completely shut off the shower faucet. When I push the valve in, it gradually pushes back and water comes out the shower head. I replaced the O rings on the cartridge and put a bit of vaseline on the rubber O rings. The faucet is Moen and was installed about 1977.
    Any tips?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 20, 2013, 07:11 PM
    I replaced the O rings on the cartridge
    Does that mean you used a rebuild kit from Moen?
    gandeweg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Does that mean you used a rebuild kit from Moen?
    No. I found 2 O rings at the home center that fit
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 20, 2013, 09:08 PM
    Well, apparently they didn't "fit"

Moen guarantees their faucets for life. Call 1 800 BUY MOEN (1-800-289-6636) for a free replacement cartridge. You probably have the 1200 cartridge.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 06:17 AM
    Agree with Hkstroud

You aren't forgetting to re-install the copper horseshoe shaped clip (see image) are you, Gandeweg?

Further note here is that petroleum-based products such as vaseline are said to degrade orings and cause cracking over time. For long term results use a silicone grease or plumbers heat-pruf grease for all oring applications in the future... ;)
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucet handles do not shut off completely [ 2 Answers ]

The water has a drip when I shut it off

I am completely shut-off from everything [ 4 Answers ]

I have had problems with depression throughout my life and believe I am in my worst state of depression now. I am 28, turning 29 on Tuesday, and recently came out of a 6 year relationship about two months. I have always felt that my happiness has been dependent on other people's positive feelings...

My hot water will not completely shut off in the shower. I replaced the cartridge and [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water will not completely shut off in the shower. I replaced the stem and am having the same problem. Any ideas?

My daughter has completely shut me out & I can only guess at what it can be [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter came to visit my son & his wife & me & it has been a very cold visit. She has told my son & daughter-n-law her issues, but said that she will not talk to me about it but they can after she leaves. This has been going on for about a month & it has been pure torture. We have always...

How to completely shut down my computer [ 3 Answers ]

My computer is basically trashed. I cannt do anything, I'm lucky to be doing thisand I've asked every where. So here it goes, How do I completely shut my computer down, I mean get an "as new look" Please don't ak me if I mean all these diff names. Because everyone calls things diff names and I am...

View more questions Search