Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophiatops Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
    I am completely shut-off from everything
    I have had problems with depression throughout my life and believe I am in my worst state of depression now. I am 28, turning 29 on Tuesday, and recently came out of a 6 year relationship about two months. I have always felt that my happiness has been dependent on other people's positive feelings about me. My ex-boyfriend was never a healthy person for me to be with but he would give attention, which is why I stayed in the relationship. Throughout our entire relationship, he lied to me and had several affairs with other women but I didn't leave or felt like I couldn't leave him.

I have a very strained relationship with my small immediate family and have grown very distant from any friends during my relationship with my ex-boyfriend. I do not feel like living by myself is good for me because it allows me not go anywhere or see anyone. I have little to no interest in leaving my apartment most of the time and I work primarily from home for my job.

I have been having many more feelings of overwhelming sadness, cry frequently, and am generally frozen emotionally and physically. I feel incapable in taking any steps towards dealing with my emotional issues. I honesly do not know what to do right now and that type of mindset is getting to be an almost every day thing. I have lost a sense of feeling like I can find ways to change the way I think and that this is just the way I am. It's circular problem - I don't feel like I can change the way that I think so I don't see the point of trying. I guess I have not completely bought into this mindset because I'm writing this question but know that if I am going to do something it has to be right now.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 01:02 PM

Have you considered getting professional help? A counselor can help you work through this, and if deemed necessary get you started on antidepressants until you are able to make some progress.
    sophiatops Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 08:27 PM

Yes I have tried a couple different therapists but it really didn't much of an effect
    beachloverjohn Posts: 491, Reputation: 242

Aug 30, 2010, 09:03 AM

I think that therapy only works if you are willing to do the homework. Another words, certain tasks will be suggested to you, and you have to execute those between your therapy sessions. Exercising is also an excellent activity to relieve anxiety. There are also support groups that are available. The most important thing for you to do is to build up yourself esteem. You are right, you have to do something about this now. You have to want to get better before you can get better. Don't wait for somebody to come along to give you a reason to live. You have to start living for yourself, and taking care of yourself. Once you reach that point, your relationships will be much healthier and satisfying.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sophiatops View Post
    yes i have tried a couple different therapists but it really didn't much of an effect
    You only get out what you put in with therapy.

When,exactly,did you try this therapy?Recently or sometime in the past?How many appointments?

With depression,that which a qualified professional could assess,there are a variety of treatments.Are you willing to do what is necessary to get the relief you are looking for?

Having an open mind when you walk in the door to a therapy session is a good first step.Keeping that open mind helps when you walk OUT that door.

If you don't take a therapists advice,who's advice will you take?Mine?I am not a therapist,I am one of those people from the same side of the desk as you would be, a client/patient,etc.

If you want out of the chaos you are calling a life today,get the help you need,we can't help you if you don't first help yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hot water will not completely shut off in the shower. I replaced the cartridge and [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water will not completely shut off in the shower. I replaced the stem and am having the same problem. Any ideas?

Hampton Bay outdoor lights won't shut completely off [ 0 Answers ]

I installed two Hampton Bay HB-4190 outdoor lights on my garage. I wired them in the "Slave/Master" mode described in the instructions. They work as they should, turning on to a low level when it gets dark and a high level when motion is sensed. However, I find that they never turn completely...

My daughter has completely shut me out & I can only guess at what it can be [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter came to visit my son & his wife & me & it has been a very cold visit. She has told my son & daughter-n-law her issues, but said that she will not talk to me about it but they can after she leaves. This has been going on for about a month & it has been pure torture. We have always...

How to completely shut down my computer [ 3 Answers ]

My computer is basically trashed. I cannt do anything, I'm lucky to be doing thisand I've asked every where. So here it goes, How do I completely shut my computer down, I mean get an "as new look" Please don't ak me if I mean all these diff names. Because everyone calls things diff names and I am...

Toilet water supply won't completely shut off [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing the innards of my toilet tank (flush valve, etc.). I disconnected the water supply line and can't get it to shut off completely. There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply. I don't know how long the repair will take and I would like...

View more questions Search