Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lancesingh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Well pump malfunction
    The pump that brings water from my well seems to have stopped working suddenly. Please help me to fix the problem.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 02:24 PM

Going to need a lot more info. There are many things that can cause pump to stop working. Do you have a multi-meter, and do you feel comfy working with electricity? If so, let us know and we will take this one step at a time.

Couple more questions... Is this an above ground pump, or a submersible pump? Do you know what the pressure switch looks like and where it is? If submersible, do you know where your control box is? Have you checked all breakers in breaker box? If above ground pump, do you hear any buzzing at pump? Please lets us know what you find.

Jun 19, 2009, 03:01 PM

The pump is located in my crawl space. I checked the breakers and the well was still powered on. I went into the crawl space and tried cleaning the connections at the switch with an emery board because the connections are old and rusty but that didn't change anything. The tank is empty and the pressure gauge is at zero

Jun 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
    I do not have a multi meter or much background in electric but I'm hoping to be ableto fix it today at least temporarily until I can replace it.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 03:09 PM

Are the contacts on the switch in the closed position or open?

Jun 19, 2009, 03:16 PM

Closed
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 05:17 PM

The connections are old and rusty? Hmmmm. Well, do yourself two favors:

1. Buy a simple device at Lowe's (or wherever) to check for current. It's a simple pigtail device... two wires and a light. Put one wire on the hot terminal, the other on a ground. The light should light up. You can get these for a couple of bucks.

2. In all likelihood, the switch should be replaced. However, it does require a little basic wiring and simple plumbing. Thankfully, the switch is cheap... 25 bucks or so.

Jun 19, 2009, 06:14 PM

Okay - but can I get it back on tonight

Can anybody explain to me what they think happened from what I've described? It was just working earlier today and then all of a sudden nothing. When I click the connections on the switch manually there is definitely current there so I'm not sure what exactly caused or is causing the pump to fail.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:48 AM

Lance, it works like this. Current is constantly at the switch. When pressure drops to a preset level, the points close and send current to the pump So, with the pump above ground you should easily be able to verify if it is getting current or not. If it is, then the pump would have to be the problem. Thankfully, it is above ground, so replacing it will not be much of a problem. You might want to get a pro to take a look/do the work if you don't feel comfortable with it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Replace the control box and then get back to us with the results. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump malfunction! [ 3 Answers ]

My sump pump is stuck running and the float works just fine. What else could be the problem?

What is her malfunction? [ 20 Answers ]

Ok- I have a 17 year old child who is beyond bright and very strong willed. She's a junior in high school. All of her teachers love her. She has unfortunately inherited my families disposition for migraines. We have her on a 504 plan to cover the days that she is out due to her legitimate...

Fan Malfunction [ 3 Answers ]

Recently installed 3 speed, ceiling fan with light worked properly for about 6 weeks. Now fan only works on one speed and slows when light is turned on. What might be causing the malfunctioning?

My PC malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

Why is it that when I use my PC my computer says vga no signal?? Wats does vga mean?? :confused:

Furnace malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

Why would my furnace kick off and say limited cycle on the code ?on a coleman evcon

View more questions Search