Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    symptomatic Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
    New relationship She has 9yr old Girl who treats mum like
    I have been in a new relationship for about 5 months now and things are going well But I have concerns about how her 9 year old daughter is talking to her , she is extremely rude and cannot answer a question with out sarcasm and or shouting , at first I thought it might be her way of trying to compete with me for her mothers time but now we have been seeing each other for a little while a pattern is starting to develop , the mother has custody but the little lady goes and spends every second weekend at her fathers , when she comes back it's like she has changed into some kind of monster and it takes a couple of days for her to settle down again , I just don't feel like I have earned the right yet to express my thoughts to her mother , I am mindful that I will never take her fathers place but believe I can give her a good home , now to my questions ,
    1: do I have any avenues open to me to be able to express my disappointment to the little lady without it turning into a confrontation.
    2: is this normal behavior for a 9 yr old girl .
    3: if I lay the law down so to speak how will that effect my relationship with the little lady & also her mother.

May 27, 2010, 05:33 PM

Doh typo , it should read without sarcasm
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2010, 05:05 AM

My advice.. do nothing.

Say nothing.

This has nothing really to do with you,I realise your in a relationship with the child's mother,however,it is a new relationship and may not last,getting involved in the child's life now could do more harm then good.

Be a good listener to your new girlfriend,only and only if she asks your opinion give it but gently,she will resent any thing bad you may have to say against her child.
    cindychick06 Posts: 68, Reputation: 9

May 28, 2010, 05:25 AM

I think you should voice your concerns. I mean don't do it in a "daddy" sort of way, just let the mother know that you are concerned about the way her daughter is speaking to her. Don't make a big deal about it, just after one of her daughters episodes tell her that her behavior is not right. I mean if you like this woman then her daughter's issues are going to become a big problem for you anyway. It could be just that her daughter doesn't like that there is a new man in her mother's life. Try to get to know the daughter, spend some time with her. Don't let her tantrums scare you, because if you do she know's that she controls the situation, and no child deserves that control. Again I would not make a big deal about it but I would for sure not just sit back and watch, because that will ruin your relationship also.

May 30, 2010, 11:48 PM

Thanks for your prompt replies ladies , I have decided that I am in a position where all I can do is continually pick up the pieces when my G/F feels overwhelmed by the constant abuse , it happened again this weekend and my G/F ended up in tears and questioning her ability to be a good mother , I can't help thinking that the young miss is just acting out on what she hears out of the mouth of a disgruntled ex , I have told my G/F that all she can do about this is to be consistent with how she treats little miss and not to buy into the ex's blame game , I just wish there was something else I could do .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship with a bi girl [ 7 Answers ]

I am dating a bisexual girl (she made it clear for me from the very beginning and I made a choice to accept that if I wanted to be with her. Although I cannot say I like this fact but there is nothing I can do about it). I am alder then her (nearly twice her age) and I find myself suffering when I...

I've got a 9 month old baby girl her mum has breached the contact order, [ 12 Answers ]

My ex partner has refused me access to see my 9 month old daughter, she is in breach of a contact order, she wants me to go to a contact centre. I want to have access at my home is that possible as I don't want to see my baby at a contact centre at all, not rite. She is not thinkiking about her...

Depression & Bad Mum Relationship [ 2 Answers ]

Hiya, I just wondered if people out there think that it's possible that one of your parents really doesn't love you. I have suffered from severe depression on and off since leaving school, I lost my Dad in July 07 and things have escalated badly for me. I never had a chance to grieve for my Dad...

How to get into a relationship with a girl you like [ 16 Answers ]

I like this girl months a back... months later you get an opportunity to talk to her... she knows you like her and you don't know if she does.I really like her and I don't know when is the right time to let her I want be in a relationship with her?

Title about a girl who's dad leaves her with someone who treats her badly. [ 2 Answers ]

The girl is left by here dad who I believe is going away to war. She shows up with her suitcase and her father promises he will return. She goes into the big building to find that she will be the girl treated as a "slave" to everyone else. There is a girl in the movie who brushes her hair 100 times...

View more questions Search