Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeremy11 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Dsog
    Hello. Ive recently purchased a miniature dachsund and he is about 4 months old now. Ive been having a problem with him pooping in his kennel when I leave him in the kennel. I only put him in the kennel when Im not home. I was told he was doing it because the kennel was too big so I bought a small pet taxi. It is just big enough for him to stand up and turn around in. Although he is still pooping in it and it's a mess! I do not know what to do next. Please helppp!
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 05:31 PM

Is he otherwise housetrained?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 4, 2010, 05:31 PM

Keep loving him through it. The best way to reinforce the proper thing to do is not feed him right before putting him in the kennel. Practice proper routine, meaning: Feed, walk or let outside for him to use the bathroom and kennel him after he has gone. As soon as you have gotten home take him right outside immediately and encourage him to go. Once you introduce this routine he will begin to get it.
    I had this problem with a dog that I rescued and it was my understanding at the time it was because that was how he was used to living. Can I ask if he was at a puppy store or from a puppy mill or breeder?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    puppy store or from a puppy mill?
    There's a difference? :P

Jan 4, 2010, 09:06 PM

Yes, when Im home with him he goes outside without a problem. I bought him from a local breeder in my area.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 12:19 PM

Sounds like a form of separation anxiety. Sometimes dogs will potty their crates when left alone. It's their way of protesting. It's a hard habit to break... a good start is to completely scour his crate and him. Get the smell of feces off his body and away from his home. When you are home with the dog... do practice runs. Put the dog in the crate for a couple minutes at a time... Reward him when he is good... ignore him if he's throwing a tantrum. Not only will you know what your dog is doing, but you will also be able to verify if the dog does indeed have separation anxiety...

TO cure separation anxiety if your pup does indeed have it, it could very well be a long road. Obedience helps... taking him to doggy daycare will help even more... If it gets to the point where you think he needs to be medicated, then definitely consult a vet/behaviorist. They will be able to further assist you with any more issues.

But I would try crating him while your home...

Another question, how long is he in the crate while your gone? Is it for a full 8 hour work day? Please keep in mind that dogs can only hold it for every hour they are old... such as... 3 months can hold it for 3 hours... 4 months.. about 4 hours. This could very well be your problem as well... IF it is... I highly suggest coming home on lunch, if that isn't going to work, hire a dog walker... or, again, sign up for doggy daycare.

Jan 5, 2010, 05:59 PM

He's only put in the kennel for max 5 hours. Ive done some research and I believe it is separation anxiety. He doesn't like being left alone at all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search