Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mazze1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Cracked toilet/ looking for speedball & others too
    I've read about cracked toilet bowls being a catasrophe waiting to happen and I can appreciate this, but I seek expert opinion based on my case. There is a crack across the top of the bowl that I have. It seems superficial but it goes from the inside, over the rim and down the outside so I'm quite sure this needs to be changed. I can't find a toilet to match the color from the seventies (and don't want to do a 15,000 dollar redo)and I'm also not that happy with the new toilets as they don't seem to flush as well and make banging noises.
    My neighbor was renovating her bathroom and her toilet was in perfect shape, so her contractor took out her bowl and left it on my front porch. Cleaned it up and it sparkles like new... Only problem is that when he was loosening the bolts it made a hairline crack on the base, near the bolts... My contractor said that that is acceptable because he puts a double seal and where the bolt is is just cosmetic.. that no water will come from the flush. He also says that is not a problem the same way the crack across the top of the bowl is.
    I doubt if he would put it in if it was totally wrong thing to do, but then I read things that contradict this... Can you support what we plan to do. I don't know what to think. Thanks.
    niklis Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

May 19, 2009, 08:13 PM

I would say its OK can you feel the crack or is it smooth if its smooth its fine if not I would put some kind of sealer
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 10:47 PM

I think this question was here few days ago and was properly answered by our Experts. Anyway...

Cracked toilet is cracked toilet. It can break in half anytime you sit on it. Sorry about the color but... I would suggest that you buy cheap , white, toilet for now, wait until somebody else on your street does remodel, and once you have the right color toilet - install it in place of the cheap one.

Area of bowl where bolts penetrate the base is very important and should be intact. Your "contractor" is wrong. If he installs that toilet, it will be rocking, eventually breaking the other side not to mention it will most likely cause sewage leak.

New, Low Flush Toilets are being used for almost 20 years now and they work well. Fill and Flush parts inside the tank are more-less the same as the always were for the last 100 years. Except for the power flush units, toilets continue to work on the same principle. Knocking in pipes after toilet is flushed is not toilet problem.
    45notdaddy Posts: 62, Reputation: 15

May 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazze1 View Post
    I'm also not that happy with the new toilets as they don't seem to flush as well and make banging noises.
    You'd be surprised at how well some of the new low flow toilets flush while wasting much less water doing it. The banging issue is indicative of another problem not some new "feature" with new toilets.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 20, 2009, 04:06 AM
    Like Milo said Mazze1... we answered this question the other day..?

Here is exactly what I posted at the question:

The bowl is connected to the closet flange STRICTLY by the holes in the toilet bowl. This being said, as soon as anyone sits on the toilet they will strain the closet bolts and as this continues the toilet bowl WILL CRACK at the crack at the base of the toilet bowl.. even with a double wax gasket... ;) Sorry!

The crack in your old bowl sounds to be less of an issue than the new (old) bowl as far as I am concerned.

If you want to do away with both toilets, today's toilet bowls are not as poorly functioning as they were years back... good names include Toto, kohler and american standard... best choice is probably white for colored bathroom. Some of these toilets really kick A** as they have increased the flush valve to 3" and this is really making a difference in evacuating the waste!

Seems Milo and 45notdaddy agree... ;)

Let us know if you want to discuss more...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2009, 05:57 AM
    I agree with the other experts. China's very brittle and little cracks can grow into big cracks. When a bowl's installed all the pressure and strain occur at the closet bolts exactly where you say the crack is. This can't get better, it can only get worse. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank Cracked [ 28 Answers ]

Toilet tank has a hairline crack along bottom from the mounting bolt and up right hand side about 4 inches and lets water seep out. What can I apply to the inside of the tank to seal the crack? If it cannot be repaired, where can I find replacement ?- It is American Standard, Model Number...

Fix a cracked Toilet Tank [ 7 Answers ]

What kind of adhesive do I use to fix a Toilet tank that was cracked so it doesn't leak... I forgot to put antifreeze in my tank while I left my cabin and the tank cracked and got water all over. Now I have a Tank that is very hard to replace because the rough in from the wall is only 9inches from...

Cracked toilet bowl [ 2 Answers ]

I've read about cracked toilet bowls being a catasrophe waiting to happen and I can appreciate this, but I seek expert opinion based on my case. There is a crack across the top of the bowl that I have. It seems superficial but it goes from the inside, over the rim and down the outside so I'm quite...

Cracked toilet cover [ 4 Answers ]

My son crackd the cover to the toilet. Is there a glue that will connect to two pieces together? It's basically broke in half. It's the cover that fits over the tank. Looks to be clay-like or 'ceramic'? (sp).

Cracked Toilet Metal Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, First of all, I would like to wish all an awesome Thanksgiving. Now to the problem. In the downstairs 1/2 bathroom of my 12-year old house, the toilet drain is cracked about two inches below the flange; I have a cast iron flange. The drain is in a slab and is not a straight drain. I...

View more questions Search