Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meg_9091 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Biological father's rights
    My husband and I were divorced 3 years ago. While we were divorced I dated another man for about eight monthes and got pregnant with his baby. When he found out I was pregnant he became very nervous and acted like a pathetic child. Even though he had never been married, had no children , and was 31 years old he stated that he just didn't know if he could care for a child. We stayed together for the first couple of monthes of my pregnancy and he went to my Docter's visits with me. He never would even discuss the baby and stated that he really didn't care if the baby had his last name or not and other stupid comments. We eventually broke up when I was about 6 monthes pregnant. Me and my ex husband got back together about 2 monthes before my daughter was born. My husband was in the delivery room,cut the umbilical cord, and wanted his name on my daugter's birth certificate. He is a woderful daddy and shows no difference between my daughter and his other two biological children. THey all three have his last name.:rolleyes: He loves her dearly and is scared to death that her biological father can one day decide that he wants to see her and doesn't know exactley how the law's work in that situation. Does anyone know what right's the biological father has even if he has seen her only 2 times and not since she was 2 weeks old. He also tells everyone that she is not his that she is really my husbands. My husband is a beautiful father to her and the only one she has ever known. I was just wondering if the biological father were to decide that he wanted to start seeing her what exact rights would he have? I'm sorry my question was sooo long. I would really apreciate any help with my question. My Husband is really worried about it. Thanks soooooooo much:)
    45notdaddy Posts: 62, Reputation: 15

Apr 10, 2009, 12:33 AM

As far as what I've seen your husband is the "legal" father of the child and "bio" daddy will have one hell of a time trying to exercise any rights in the matter. Wait for a few more responses, but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 03:35 AM

Depending on your state, your husband may, in fact, be the legal father of the child. Did you put his name on the birth certificate?

Ultimately the way to handle this would be for your husband to adopt the baby. That would permanently remove the bio-father from the picture. It sounds to me like he would be OK with that.

Speak to a local family law lawyer. He will best be able to assess the situation with legal vs biological parentage.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 03:37 AM
    Sorry - I didn't answer your actual question.

If your ex wanted to exercise rights, he would have to go to court and file for paternity and visitation. He may or may not be able to do that based on the age of the child now and the state that you reside in.

But my previous response stands - see a lawyer for this one.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 09:02 AM

Which state?
    If you are in Maine the BF can step on the plate till child's 18 y.
    If you are in Pa, he can dispute nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? [ 8 Answers ]

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? He has nothing to do with her. He has seen her maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and he is expected to go back to jail. He does and sells drugs. I am simply terrified for him to be around her.

How Do I get my son's biological father's parental rights relinquished [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and am seeking information on ending the parental rights of my son's biological Father. My son is 14 years old and has had no contact with his B.F. for 10 years. His Father is not required nor can be required to pay child support due to a type of Social security he is...

Rights to biological father's estate [ 3 Answers ]

My biological father recently passed, he and his family never formally acknowledged me as his daughter, although he has admitted it to me over the years. His wife was very active in church and community and considered me an embarrassment. He is extremely weathly, owned much of the town they lived...

Court automatically taking biological father's rights away [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé wants to adopt my daughter. I want to know that if I do decide to bring my daughter's father to court to give up his rights and he doesn't show for the court date.. will the court automatically take his rights away?

How do I terminate my daughters biological father's rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is four years old. Her biological father has not seen her, supported her in any kind of way since Feb. 2006. I have been married for two years and 4 months. My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Georgia. We were in Texas before. My daughters biological father...

View more questions Search