Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ironworks25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Relinquishment of parental rights
    I have a newborn baby girl who I fathered with a young woman I know, but am not in a relationship with. I have custody of her, and intend to raise her without her birth mothers involvement, which the birthmother has consented to, and she is willing to sign off parental rights. She and I are on very good speaking terms, and I am seeking some help to find the appropriate paperwork or path I need to follow to get on with our separate lives with the birth mother's rights terminated. Since we both are in agreement on this issue is it possible to exclude lawyers and file appropriate papers on our own?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
    This gets very complicated, since the custody agreements have to be signed by the judge and each state has very special requirements. Please get an attorney or you will find in a few years some flaw and the mother can come back in. Also normally unless there is another partner or spouse that is going to adopt, child support can not be just given up, you may not require it, but there are times the state may hold the right to collect money for the child if any state benefits were ever required.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 20, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Is it important to you that the mother never be involved with the child? You say you're on good speaking terms. Why do you want to make sure she is legally going to be apart from the child? She may not want to deal with a child, but over time that could change, and your daughter may really want the chance to know her mom. I hope you both think this through carefully.
    ironworks25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Actually it is more important for her not to be involved, that is her decision. She will always have an oppourtunity to see her daughter if she chooses. I am not trying to cut her out of a relationship with her daughter, she recognizes that I am a good father and have the baby's best interest in mind, while she still is growing up and doesn't usually have her own best interests at bay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary relinquishment of parental rights [ 15 Answers ]

I have a child with my ex boyfriend we were never married and there was never given custody to either of us. I want to give my rights up on my child and for him to have all rights. How would I go about doing that?

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a child 14years when I was 18 and The father and his mother took my child from me at the age of one after I went in the hospital to have my daughter. I came home and went to pick up my child and they wouldn't let me after I called the police and came back to the house with the police...

WHERE do I acquire paperwork for relinquishment of parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

The biological father of my unborn child wants to voluntarily relinquish every parental right he has. My husband wants to adopt the baby. Where do I go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? We want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. All of this filing and counter...

View more questions Search