Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuzeHeart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 07:13 AM
    How can I find out if my mother was legally adopted?
    Recently my grandfather on my mother's side passed away and he left everything to me, his only living relative. My mother passed away 10 years ago. Here's the question, someone is contesting the will saying that I'm not his legal relative because my mother was not his biological daughter. It's my understanding that he adopted her when he married my grandmother... but I have no proof.

How can I get a copy of the adoption papers from the early 1940s? Would they exist somewhere? I believe that this would involve the state of NY if that matters. Probably around 1941 or sometime soon after.

Thanks for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2009, 07:21 AM

Try for your mom's birth certificate. It may have amended to show your grandfather as the legal father.

But even if that wasn't the case, its not grounds to contest the will. Your grandfather can choose to leave his estate to anyone who chooses with some exceptions. Unless he was under the impression that he was your biological grandparent, then it may just be a moot point.

Who is contesting the will?
    SuzeHeart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 07:32 AM

This is where it gets messy... he modified his will years ago to include someone (a non family member/friend). Then years later, he omitted this friend after finding out that he was just using him for money. THIS person is now coming forward with that OLD copy of that will saying that he wants to begin probate... and he's saying the current will is not valid because I'm not my grandfather's legal heir.

Isn't it sad how people like this just love to stir up trouble when it comes to money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2009, 07:47 AM

The only way I can see him contesting the will is if he can prove you exercised undue influence in changing his will to write him out of it.

You ARE the legal heir because the later will states so. Whether your mom was adopted or not is moot. Is your grandfather's estate large?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find out if I am adopted [ 3 Answers ]

How can I found out if I am adopted for free

How do I find out if my 2 kids were adopted by their step mother? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio but my husband remarried 16 years ago and lived in different states. I haven't seen my son in 16 years and just found him. He said that his step mother adopted him and his sister years ago. How do I go about finding out if it is true.

Is my mother Adopted [ 2 Answers ]

I think that my mother was adopted when she was born. I think this for several reasons, one: she looks nothing like her parents,two: there are no pictures of her mother pregnet,three: in the picture of her mother and father with her the day that they came home from the hospital, her mother is...

How do I find out if someone is legally adopted? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out if someone is legally adopted/

How do we go abut getting our son legally adopted by my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is chrstina and I am married to a man who would like to adopt my son and we would like to know hoe it is that we should go about that

View more questions Search