To anyone who has an opinion on foster parents

Asked Dec 1, 2008, 09:12 AM 16 Answers
    Hello. Im sarah. I've just recently discovered that a Borough in redbridge London, has passed the law that foster parents are banned from smoking if they are to take care of a child. I want to write a short article about this for my class work (it's not going to be published or anything) I just want to gather opinions wherever I can possible.
    What do you think about this?
    It would be such a great help to get an opinion from any of you out there that have more wisdom than myself!
    Thanks. Also if your up for helping me out on this one, Please help!
    Thank you so much for your time.
    Sarah xx

Last edited by Fr_Chuck; Dec 1, 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: email
    startover22's Avatar
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363

#2

Dec 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Being a smoker does not make you a bad parent. I do not agree with this law. I think foster parents should not smoke in the house nor in the car... or even around the kids, but if you want to smoke you can always step outside. I do not agree to the extent of it being banned. I agree it should not be done in front of the kids.
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,864, Reputation: 2413

#3

Dec 7, 2008, 08:26 PM

I truly hope they plan on finding a LOT more foster parents, and doing something about the natural parents out there who smoke.

Sounds like a form of discrimination, to me, and in the end it's only really going to hurt the kids.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 25,707, Reputation: 5616
    Pets Expert

#4

Dec 7, 2008, 08:29 PM

I'm a smoker and I have two kids. I don't smoke in the house or in the car. When I do smoke it's outside or in the garage.

What about drinking? Can you have a glass of wine with dinner or is that wrong too? Where do we draw the line?

Many people smoke, drink, and worse. Smoking is legal, so why the big deal?

There aren't enough foster parents out there as it is, now they're cutting the numbers down even more?

Smoking is bad for you, but it doesn't make you a bad person or bad parent.
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,839, Reputation: 2034

#5

Dec 8, 2008, 05:28 AM

Too much government control when they can tell us what we can and can not do in our homes.
    N0help4u's Avatar

#6

Feb 15, 2009, 09:59 AM

NAPALMFACE agrees: Thank you for taking notice - too much control not enough enforcement. No one should smoke - how about that!. and then it is no one should eat Twinkies or McDonalds.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 61,863, Reputation: 5752
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#7

Feb 15, 2009, 10:18 AM

I'd have to see the exact text of this law before I disagree with it.

But I must say I can understand it. Enough studies have proven the potential damage of second hand smoke that a case could be made for this.

I suspect that the legislators are doing this with our litgious society in mind. Lets say a 20 yr old gets diagnosed with lung cancer. He was placed with foster parents who smoked heavily at age 5. Now he sues the agency that placed him because they put him in harm's way.

I don't think that's far fetched.

I agree that smokers are not necessarily bad parents, but smoking in the presence of a child does seem to be outting them in harm's way.
    N0help4u's Avatar

#8

Feb 15, 2009, 10:40 AM

I am all for people not smoking but I have a problem with government telling people what to do in their homes to a degree
    Next they will be telling foster parents that the kid is overweight and they must make him lose weight or else lose custody. Can they/should they have that much involvement?
    Then the system is unjust, while they are crucifying a foster family for smoking they often are closing their eyes to the parents that are drinking and doing drugs WITH their kids.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#9

Feb 15, 2009, 10:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    But I don't see that as the case here. The law is not telling people they can't smoke, its saying they can't be a foster parent if they do. Its no different from DUIs. The law doesn't say a person can't drink, only that they can't get behind the wheel if they do. The premise here is that they seem to be trying to prevent someone from harming someone else with their behavior.
    N0help4u's Avatar

#10

Feb 15, 2009, 11:01 AM

Yeah that is true.

Foster kids [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and his wife are foster parents to two little girls 5 and 9. Origionally he wanted to adopt them, the problem is both girls are out of control and they lie and break everything and tear wallpaper down and now my nephew is starting to act like them. We all have become attached to these...

Can you be a single foster mom? [ 7 Answers ]

I have thought a lot about foster care to! But is it hard to become a foster mom? Do they even allow it?

Foster mothers [ 2 Answers ]

I am a grandmother of a 2 year old. I am currently taking care of him. My Son is in the military and stationed in Alaska. He is getting a divorce and his wife is living in Wyoming. She was with a foster care family for 5 years before she married my son. The foster mother says that she is going...

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...