Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RCline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Felony's and child custody?
    Hey new here. To keep it as short as possible, years ago I did some time. (six years) I was guitly and charged with 'robbery with bodily injury' and 'criminal conspiracy'.. (I was dumb I know) anyhow, I have three children, mom number one knows about the incident, mom two does not know, mom three does not know anything about it at all, and I married her, things did not work between us, and I have shared custody of my two year old. It is 50% her 50% me.. my ex was pressured into singing the custody papers, and if she had ANYTHING on me she will go back to court. The thing is I have reason to believe she may have found out about my past, Now just lets suppose she did find out that I am an excon, I KNOW she will use it against me and say that I lied, and all that BS.. and try to get custody back (she has no crimainal past) I can just tell she knows something. (not to mention she found out how to use the public record sites) I am walking on eggs not knowing if she knows and if it will affect my rights. It happened years ago, and since then I only had two DUIs, other than that no real trouble, but what concerns me the most is that I did not disclose this info at the court house while fighting for my custody, nor did I tell her before marriage. Does this make be look like a bigger A** than I already am? What could happen? What could happen with the two year old? What if mom number two finds out? Could anything happen with my 10 year olds custody? Could my ex wife gain primary or even full custody?
    Thanks. Rob.
    heardjc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RCline
    Hey new here. to keep it as short as possible, years ago I did some time. (six years) I was guitly and charged with 'robbery with bodily injury' and 'criminal conspiracy'..(I was dumb I know) anyhow, I have three children, mom number one knows about the incident, mom two does not know, mom three does not know anything about it at all, and I married her, things did not work between us, and I have shared custody of my two year old. it is 50% her 50% me.. my ex was pressured into singing the custody papers, and if she had ANYTHING on me she will go back to court. the thing is I have reason to believe she may have found out about my past, Now just lets suppose she did find out that I am an excon, i KNOW she will use it against me and say that I lied, and all that BS..and try to get custody back (she has no crimainal past) I can just tell she knows something. (not to mention she found out how to use the public record sites) I am walking on eggs not knowing if she knows and if it will affect my rights. it happened years ago, and since then I only had two DUIs, other than that no real trouble, but what concerns me the most is that I did not disclose this info at the court house while fighting for my custody, nor did I tell her before marriage. does this make be look like a bigger A** than I already am? what could happen? what could hapen with the two year old? what if mom number two finds out? could anything happen with my 10 year olds custody? could my ex wife gain primary or even full custody?
    thanks. rob.
    You mention you had 50-50 custody of the children, if this is a court order custody and you both agree to the tems, she can not change it, unless you violate the terms of the order.
    RCline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Hey thanks, but even if she found this info out 'after' agreeing to the court order?
    It is just one child. I have three children to three mothers. But my stbx is the one who would go back to court and say that she found out I was a convicted felon.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 07:31 PM
    The question is whether you were asked about a criminal past and said no. You can't be faulted for not telling if not asked.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Hello RC:

If convicted felons couldn't have custody (shared or otherwise), there would be a whole lot more single mothers out there.

I'm a dad, and a felon and everybody knows about it - even you.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Once a custody order has been issued, it can only be changed for compelling reasons reflected by a substantial change in circumstances. The fact that your ex-wife did not know of your past is irrelevant as any judge is likely to tell her that it was her responsibility to know and that her ignorance doesn't constitute grounds for changing an existing custody order. As far as not revealing it to the court at the time of the custody hearing, unless you committed perjury by specifically stating that you did not have a criminal record I don't see that being an issue either. Talk to a lawyer to be sure but I really don't think you have much to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Child custody [ 5 Answers ]

I am a male living in Louisiana. My wife is addicted to pain pills (methadone). There are several doctors that also think she is addicted. Her current doctor is giving her 200 pills every month and she also goes to another doctor and gets other types of pain pills. The doctors do not know she...

Child custody [ 22 Answers ]

I'm a father of 2 I have a 8 year old with my ex girlfriend she is into drugs and alcohol and currently doesn't have a job she just got evicted from her house she rented she has 2 other kids with 2 other fathers she just moved in with her boyfriend she is very unfit from me and the grandmothers...

Child custody [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I had a baby 8 months ago. I signed paternity papers and the birth certificate when my daughter was born. Her mother and I have never lived together although we share custody. She left the baby with me 3 weeks ago. What are my rights as a father if she wants to take the baby back?

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My partner is currently pregnant and her ex-boyfriend wants to take away the baby. She doesn't want to ask for any child support but she know and is aware that he has to be apart of the babies life. We have both tried talking to him, to let him know that he is going to be a part of the baby, but he...

View more questions Search