Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blondie8355 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Alcoholic 24 year Old Daughter
    My daughter is 24 and is an alcoholic but refuses to admit that she is. She drinks a pint to a fifth of hard alcohol everday. She has gotten to the point that she is urinating in bed for the last 3 months. She blames everyone and makes excuses for her drinking. She hides bottles all over the house. She rarely eats and is always taking tums or things for her stomach. I don't know what to do I have suggested AA to her which she refuses. My problem is that she is 24 and I don't know if I can legally do anything to have her committed into a rehab center. I have heard about the Machment Act and would this apply to someone her age?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
    First off she does not need AA... yet. She needs to agree to go to a psychiatric hospital for detox first. If she tries to quit on her own, at home, it could kill her. Then after detox, she needs rehabilitation. Long term, 30-45 days. Then after rehab she needs to go to AA meetings for the rest of her life. Do you think that she will go along with that? If not, that's when you, and the rest of her family, and friends, need to intervene. Try your best to get her to see that she's killing herself.

You see, I am an alcoholic/addict. Even though I am in full recovery, my life is at danger of a relapse.

This is going to be the most difficult journey that you've evr experienced. May GOD give you strength to complete it.

Meanwhile please look at the link I have provided below. It's for you, it's Alanon.It's for the family members of alcoholics. It's anonymous,worldwide,and free.

Please go, I'm sure there's a meeting near you tonight.

Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
    jmjoseph makes a great suggestion.

I wonder if also a planned family intervention might be the answer? This is when the whole family and friends get together with the person that is indulging in self destructive behavior and they talk about how it is affecting them and how they feel about the person. It probably needs to be mediated by a professional, rather than you all getting together and having a slanging match.

Ask when you contact Alanon.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 10:43 AM

How is she getting the booze? Better yet, who is buying this for her? How can she possibly hold a job while drunk all the time?

If you answered you supply her with money to buy the booze or buy it for her, then shame on you. If anyone in your family buys or supplies her with the money to buy the booze, shame on them.

She won't be around much longer if she does not eat solid food and has stomach problems. She obviously has mental problems and needs to be weaned off the booze before it literally kills her. She could aspirate some stomach contents in the middle of the night when drunk and literally drown in her own vomit. That's what happens to a lot of drunks and die.

Are you ready for that scenerio?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Although I somewhat agree with Twinkie, I don't think it's useful to lay the blame completely at your feet.

I'm not sure how your daughter buys her alcohol, but I agree that you must be vigilant in getting rid of it. You must know where she hides it by now - pour it down the sink.

Clearly you're aware of the risks of alcoholism, otherwise you wouldn't be writing to this forum.

Unfortunately, for the time being, the responsibility lies with you to get your daughter detoxed - don't hesitate and do it straight away!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie8355 View Post
    I have heard about the Machment Act and would this apply to someone her age?
    The Marchman Act is primarily in Florida. Do you reside in Florida?

Unfortunately, there is little, if anything, you can do until SHE realizes she has a problem. Most addicts must hit rock bottom before realizing that they have a problem.

If she lives with you, throw her out. She is 24 and should be responsible for her own life right now. I know it sounds harsh, but sometimes reality sucks. The addict has to be faced with reality.
    MayfairLady Posts: 147, Reputation: 23

Aug 8, 2009, 03:22 PM

I do not agree with the points made about throwing your daughters booze away. Any addict will get their drink-drug of choice no matter how many times you throw it away. Don't stress yourselves out trying to get her to stop in this way -it simply won't work. She has to want to stop herself. Alnon is as already pointed out the best bet for you right now. There is no such thing as a hopeless case however the person has to want to stop themselves.
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Blondie,

How are things? We haven't heard back from you. I hope she let the ball start rolling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 06:01 PM

So where is she living, with you ? Then kick her out, if she will not follow rules of the house, if she is living with you, then you help enable her to have money to do te drinking.

She may never stop, she has the right to drink if she wants to, even if it is too much.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by heresmyopinion View Post
    give her an ultimatum "Go to detox, or live on the street." you are enabling her right now by giving her a place to lay her head while shes slowly killing herself. tell her she needs to find her own place to live or check into a detox. and be firm about it. pack her and throw it in the front yard. the thought of homelessness might threaten her comfort zone a bit. and once you get her into a detox, then your work is done. the seed has been planted, she'll get educated on alcoholism and what can be done, and that's all you can do.
    "Throw her in the yard"? "That's all you can do"? "Then your work is done"? This IS NOT the advice that this poor woman is looking for. This IS NOT the advice that ANYONE should be given!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcoholic adult daughter with baby! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,this is my first post,and I am desperate for advice. My 32 year old daughter is an alcoholic and has a 7 month old baby. Lately she has started to drink again,and lies and manipulates family members. The other night,my other adult daughter went to babysit for her so she could attend an AA...

Adult Alcoholic Depressed Daughter/Mother Relationship in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

I am so depressed. So sad. My adult daughter is not getting better or over her depression and alcoholism. She has a son whom I have, for all practical purposes, raising and I love him as though he was my own. It's been about 10 years now. It is wearing me down. My health is showing wear and...

How to deal with a adult son a 22 year old who is an alcoholic and a drug addict [ 19 Answers ]

My son is 22 years old and is addicted to alcohol and drugs. My husband and myself have tried every which way to help him we even tried him in a rehab.He is in trouble with the law because of his habit and he knows he has couple court dates coming up but he still continues with his habits.My...

Alcoholic mother expects custody of my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My wife (soon to be ex) is an unemployed drunk who is used to getting her way through lawyers (thanks to her parents) and is expecting to get full custody of our 2 yr old daughter as we have split and are seeking a divorce. She already has full custody of her son from a previous relationship but...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

View more questions Search