Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gleavedd Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Unborn baby's fathers rights
    Sorry about the previous post. Accidentally hit enter. Anyway, my daughter (adult) is pregnant. The father had violent outbursts, and she sent him away. He has moved 3 hours away, but continues to harrass her via text pages. She does not want him around the baby. Does he have any rights if she does not put him on the birth certificate? We are in TN.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Does he already know it is his?

Jul 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Yes he does.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
    He will have rights if he demands a paternity test and the test comes out that the baby is his, but as of right now, he has none. You don't mention your daughter's age, this can be important if she is a minor.

If he is harassing her via text pages, she needs to close those down. Or put them on private so that he cannot contact her.

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT.

Have you attempted getting a restraining order?

Jul 10, 2007, 05:26 PM
    She is keeping the posts, and Mom tells her to turn the phone off. She is 28. I don't worry that he will take the child. She does not drink, party, smoke, do drugs, etc. He is volatile. We have had the police here because of his behavior. We just don't want the baby alone with him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 05:31 PM
    She needs to use the posts now to get a order of protection, A court order to demand he does not contact her.

As for as the child, yes he is the father, you don't have to list him on the birth certificate, But he will have rights if he wants them, the amount and type will be up to the court. She has the right to get child support.
    Once the baby is born she needs to file for full custody and even ask for him to have no visitation ( most liekly will not get it, but you can ask)

At the most, the court will most likely allow supervised visitation, though children services. He will not visit unless there is someone there to supervise. She can and should have course also ask for child support, TN is a wonderful state, if he does not pay, he will end up in jail.

Jul 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Thank you so much. She is working right now. I'm going to let her read this. We are going to contact an attorney. This little fella must be protected. So you think it is better to admit he is the father and seek child support? She wants to forget the father exists and hope he goes away.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Since she will want child support and it is not fair to cheat your child out of the child's money, she may and should demand a DNA test if there is any doubt, and the father has a right to demand a DNA test to prove he is the father.

She does not have to list him on the birth certificate, but the only way to get your child support is to claim he is the father.

And if she does not, he can still come back 2 years 4 year, 5 years down the road and demand a DNA test and demand visits.
    So it is better to get the legal custody in writing up front right away.

Jul 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Thank you again. Do you know a way to find an attorney that is not expensive? Her income is not a lot, and I help as much as I can.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gleavedd
    Thank you again. Do you know a way to find an attorney that is not expensive? Her income is not a lot, and I help as much as I can.
    Hello gl:

I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Yes. Shop extremely well. It shouldn't be too tough. I'll bet you have as many unemployed lawyers down there as we do up here.

excon

Jul 11, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Custody Rights to Unborn Child [ 9 Answers ]

Do I automatically have custody rights to my unborn child since I am not married and paternity has not been established? Does the alleged father have legal rights to force prenatal paternity testing? Does agreeing to paternity testing automatically give him custody rights if it is determined that...

Baby's fathers friend [ 8 Answers ]

Hello to all, I was in a relationship for 7 years and had 2 kids 4, 5 my boyfriend cheated on me many many times and treated me really bad, he moved out but came back when he broke up with the last girl he cheated on me with. We are not together anymore, but a mutual friend who used to be our...

Does my baby's father have rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I have son whose father is $21,000 dollars behind in child support. He does nothing for the child nor does he spend time with the child. He was not at the hospital when my son was born, so therefore his name was not put on the birth certificate. He has never denied my son so therefore a paternity...

Rights to unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

If a child is born and it is proved to be mine, can I file for custody of the child now or do I have to wait?:confused:

View more questions Search