Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave_mwi Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Being Self Employed - Estimating Taxes?
    Ok.

The IRS's site talks about estimating tax and tells you to use your 2006 Tax return to estimate for 2007.

My 2006 return is when I worked fulltime with a company - and in 2007 I'm going to be Self-employed. I am trying to figure out how much I will need to make in 2007 being self employed, paying estimated taxes, etc, as a self-employed contractor.

As an example, with a full time job paying 130K/year with benefits, etc, how much would I have to be paid a year as a contractor?

I can do the dirty work of all the math myself, but I'm a little foggy on the start of it all. Do I do a 2006 tax form for example as if I was paid 130k as a full time employee with all the dependents, all that - stating that no income tax was withheld and use the final number as a start for how much I paid on 130k salary?

How I determine exactly what the SE Tax is on a salary at X amount/year. I still can't find a good reference for this. Can I just do a tax form for the year of 2006, pretending I was paid 160K for example as a contractor only - and use that as a guide for 2007 - taking into account any changes listed in Pub. 553?

Then how do I get benefits figured out. Are there any benefits that I can get on my own? I just don't know. Dental, Medical, Life, etc. I guess I could estimate from my full time job, but I don't know how much they will cost when I get them on my own.

A good starting point would be helpful, or a good guide... thanks so much.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 25, 2007, 04:26 AM
    A good rule of thumb in your income bracket would be to deposit 20-30% of your NET income PLUS 15% for social security and medicare. Basically, the only difference in paying taxes between working for someone else and being self employed is that you are paying both halves of social security and medicare. Federal income tax withhholding is the same either way. As far as benefits, you may qualify to pay for COBRA benefits with your previous employer or you can check with your local insurance agent as to what insurance you may qualify for on your own. You may also qualify to contribute to a SEP retirement account based on your net income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Mobea's answer gives you a good starting point.

You may also try to use the Form 1040-ES worksheet on the File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT website.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimating a due date for a cat [ 27 Answers ]

A little cat showed up at my house about 3 weeks ago. She was thin but I thought she probably had a home because she wasn't too thin. I saw her off and on for the first week, but for 2 weeks now she hasn't left my house. During these 2 weeks, It has become obvious that she is pregnant. How far...

BTU Calculation estimating square footage for furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 100,000 BTU furnace replaced with a 75,000 BTU 80% furnace. I have a two story house with a finished basement and was told the basement square footage is not used in calculating the square footage for sizing the furnace BTU's. I'm wondering if this is true? The two stories is...

F-1: self-employed or employed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have suddenly found myself in a situation, and I don't know how to file my taxes. I am here as an F-1 student on OPT, it is my fifth year here. I am primarily a writer. I stayed in the U.S. for an extra year to try to write, and also to apply for graduate school for Fall 2007....

Self Employed [ 1 Answers ]

In 2006 (this year) I managed to earn $60000 as a contractor (I work 100% from home doing programming work) I'm in the state of Texas, so what taxes do I have to file and how many percentage are they? This is my first time being self employed. So far after reading online, ii know I have ot file...

View more questions Search