Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deezerdoo Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
    periodic inventory system
    Rain Shield offers credit terms of 2/10, n/30 to credit customers. Putter Pro Shops bought 200 golf umbrellas with a list price of $35 each on March5, on account. The shipping terms were FOB shipping point. Putter received the merchandise on March 7. On March 14, Putter writes a check to Rain Shield to pay for the umbrellas.

If Putter uses a periodic inventory system, what effect does recording the purchase of the golf umbrellas on March 5 have on Putter’s accounting equation?

I say Assets and liabilities increase
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Apr 24, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Read it again and tell me what did we receive on March 5.

Apr 24, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Ok I did some more studying and I think I got it

Liabilities increase, and owners equity decreases

Beacause purchases are not an assest account. It is included in the income statement as an intergral part of the caculation of cost of goods sold and is therefor shown as reduction of owners equity in the accounting equation.

Assests= Liabilities + Owners Equity
    +7,000 -7,000

Apr 24, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Forget everything else for a minute and just tell me what we RECEIVED on MARCH 5.

Apr 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Well we didn't really receive anything we only purchased them. We didn't receive them until March 7th. I guess I'm lost

Apr 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Your right we didn't receive anything and therefore we are not liable for anything! As of March 5 there is no entry that should be made to the accounting records. However most companies will record a purchase order into the system but once again this should not appear in the accounting records it would be entered only to track PO's for informational purposes. One of three characteristics that must be present in order for a item to qualify as a liability is "The event that obligates the enterprise has occurred" hence us receiving the umbrellas which did not occur until March 7.

Extreme case: What if on March 5 right after you put in your order for the umbrellas Rain Shield burn down and nothing remained. Do you owe them anything? Did title ever pass to you?

Just a quick tip: Always in accounting read the question first before you read the scenario or set of facts, it will help you identify what you are looking for as you read through the scenario or facts. I hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
    That makes sense thanks for your help.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 09:35 PM
    I would say there is not enough information to reach your conclusion Smith.

The goods were ordered March 5, received March 7 with terms FOB shipping.

Therefore, if the goods were sent out March 5, the purchase has taken place March 5 since Putter now assumes ownership of the goods in transit.

If we are to assume that they were shipped on March 7 (or March 6), then no journal entry should be made for March 5.

Although without anything to the contrary, and this being a homework problem, I would place my marbles on a shipping date of March 5.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Periodic and perpetual inventory system [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of periodic and perpetual inventory system

Periodic Inventory System: Journal Entries [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please help me write these journal entries for a company using the periodic inventory system? Thanks Purchased $19,000 worth of inventory on account. Sold goods on account for $21,000 and made cash sales of $18,800. Credited customer accounts for $2,520 of merchandise returned....

What is the periodic inventory system about [ 2 Answers ]

How does it work

Periodic inventory [ 3 Answers ]

What is the journal entry for this under the periodic inventory system: Sold goods on account for $21,000 and made cash sales of $18,000. This is what I think it is. Is this correct or is there more to it? Dr. Cash 18,800 Dr. A/R 21,000 Cr. Sales 39,800

View more questions Search