Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DirtyRay Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Accruals Confusion
    Hey guys,

Just a quick Accrual question...

Basically been given the following 'The business has received an invoice for £1350, dated 26th March 2007, for electricity used during the period 22 February 2007 to 25 March 2007'

Right, Im just a bit confused... I've been doing reading on Accrual accounting... and from my research it seem to think that you put the charge in the accounts under the date the service finished... would this be 25 March? Or would I add up the number of days and split between the amount for each month? (the thing is were only recording the accounts for February in this example...

Thanks in advance...
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Since you only want February expense, you need to pro-rate your amount.

Since some of that 1350 was in fact accrued in February.

The total days outstanding of this bill is (Feb = 7 days March = 25 days; Total = 32 days)

So you take 7 / 32 x 1350 = 295 and expense that in February, and expense the rest (1350-295) 1055 in March.

Apr 11, 2007, 01:48 AM
    Ok great, so basically now would the 295 go under Electricity T-Account? Or Accruals T-Account? Many Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
    The February JE would be:

Dr. Electricity Expense 295
    Cr. AP 295

So you would add 295 to both the Electricity Expense T-account and the AP T-account

Apr 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Excellent, thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion [ 4 Answers ]

CONFUSED!! 1 I am CRAZY about a senior at my high school. I am a freshman. I am pretty good friends with this guy and ik that if we were to become an "item" he wouldn't take advantage of me. Hes just cool like that. :) But I also happen to get A LOT of compliments from him. People ask if Im...

W7 confusion [ 3 Answers ]

I am filling the W7 form and am stuck at 6c. It asks me for visa type, Visa number and expiration Date. I am not clear as to which number would mean the US Visa number. Please let me know. Thanks.

W2 Confusion [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I am in US from Mar '2006 and working on H1B Visa. And my spouse & 1 year old kid joined with me on Sep' 2006 on H4 Visa. Between I changed my job to another employer on Dec ' 2006. And I didn't received W2 from my previous employer till date. 1) What are all the possibilities...

Confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I seem to be in a really confusing situation and would appreciate some clarity. I have been good friends with this girl for 2 years, about 1 1/2 years ago I asked her out and she said yes and then later that night said no stating that she did not date her friends. I accepted this and contented...

Confusion [ 3 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for 6 years. I got off the shot in January 06. I received my period in 2/06 but this month I haven’t got my period yet. Last month it was over by the 12th. Should I be worried?

View more questions Search