Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FrozenSpark Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 11:36 AM
    How do you journalize this?
    A company rented a front-end loader to Landscrapers, Inc at a $250 per day rate. Landscrapers, Inc. will settle their account when they return the loader. They expect to keep it about two or three weeks.

On the day that the company rented the loader, how would you journalize it? The fact that they expect to keep it for two or three weeks is what's confusing me. How can I journalize this if specific amount of time is not stated?

P.S. the journal entry is for the company that is lending the loader, not the company that is renting it (Landscrappers)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 07:31 PM
    You would NOT make any journal entry to record the sale, since no sale/rent has occurred.

To recognize revenue, some of the requirements are that the acts to the sale are complete (which they have not, since its b/w 2 to 3 weeks) and also that collectability is assured. They haven't paid you anything, so you don't record anything yet.

As for what to do.

Indicate a note in your financial statement about this.

Now, let's say next week is your year end.

Obviously you have made 1 weeks of revenue, so at that time (in 1 week), you will record revenue for 1 week.
    FrozenSpark Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    You would NOT make any journal entry to record the sale, since no sale/rent has occurred.

To recognize revenue, some of the requirements are that the acts to the sale are complete (which they have not, since its b/w 2 to 3 weeks) and also that collectability is assured. They haven’t paid you anything, so you don’t record anything yet.

As for what to do.

Indicate a note in your financial statement about this.

Now, let’s say next week is your year end.

Obviously you have made 1 weeks of revenue, so at that time (in 1 week), you will record revenue for 1 week.

Ok, how about in the end of the month when adjusting entries have to be made?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 07:51 PM
    At the end of the moth, how long has Landscaping has the equipment for?

Let's say they have had it for one week (seven days), then you record…

Dr. AR 1,750
    Cr. Sales 1,750

7 x 250 = 1,750

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journalize this [ 2 Answers ]

Acquired building ; the cost $200,000 ; with estimated life 40 years. It will be depreciated over 40 years using straight line depreciation. Salvage value $20,000. How do I journalize this? I have Cash $200,000 Building $200,000 ...

Journalize the following transactions [ 3 Answers ]

Journalize the following transactions, post them into the ledger and prepare a trial balance. Jan 1 Mr. Rana commenced his business with Rs. 40,000 cash, furniture worth Rs. 5,000, car valued at Rs. 12,000 and stock worth of Rs. 20,000. Jan 3 deposited into bank...

Journalize transactions [ 1 Answers ]

How would you journalize these transactions? April 1) stockholderas invested $25,000 cash in exchange for common stock April 1) hired a secrentary at a salary of $300. Per week payable monthly April 2) paid rent for the month $800.00 April 3) purchased supplies on an account $1,500 April 10)...

Journalize entries [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to journalize this and think I've got it wrong: Assume a 4% service fee is charged by American Express. Record the entry for the transaction on the restaurant's books for Dr. Miller’s AMEX credit card transaction. The service fee is 2,000 x 4%=$80. The entry is Accounts...

View more questions Search