Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonkhan Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
    Revising depreciation, selling plant assets.
    I am really confused to calculate the Depriciation expense for Dec, 2008. The question is like this.
    In 2007, Cost of truck is $22,000, estimated life year is 5 years, and salvage value is $2000. The recorded annual straight line depreciation for December 2007 is $4000 as I recorded.
    1n 2008, the truck's estimated useful life was changed from five to four years and salvage value is $2400.I need to record the annual Straight line depreciation on the truck. According to my calculations, it is $4900, but when I match the answer, it should be equal to $5,200. Can anybody help me please. I AM VERY VERY CONFUSED
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 07:24 AM

The cost of the truck was $22,000. The salvage value was $2000. Expected life of truck was 5 years. That gives you a depreciation value of $20,000 to be taken over 5 years.

In 2007 you claimed $4,000 which left a balance of $16000 to be claimed.

In 2008 the salvage value increased by $400. That reduced the depreciation balance by $400 to $15,600.

The expected life truck also change from 5 years to 4. You have already claimed one year, leaving you three years to claim the remaining balance of $15,600.

$15,600 divided by 3 = $5,200
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2011, 09:59 AM

This is a duplicate post and was previously answered by me in the other post.
    moonkhan Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Thanks for your help, but I am also confused with Calculating the loss on disposal of truck. IT SHOULD BE EQUAL TO $2300, BUT MINE IS DIFFERENT. CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW I CAN DO THAT. THANKS AGAIN
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2011, 12:47 PM

What information do you have on the disposal of the truck like when was it disposed, how much did you receive for it, etc.

The basic journal entry will be:
    Debit Cash if cash received for the amount
    Debit Accumulated Dpreciaiton for the amount of depreciation accumulated for the truck (you may have to calculate this amount)
    Credit Truck for the cost of the truck
    And the difference between your debits and credits will be either a gain (credit) or a loss (debit).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are fixed assets and plant assets the same thing? [ 2 Answers ]

I am constructing a classified balance sheet and I would like to know if fixed assets are the same as plant assets?

Property, Plant and Equipment Depreciation [ 4 Answers ]

This is another question that I want clarification on. I hope I answered this one correctly as well: 6. Which of the following statements about property, plant, and equipment and depreciation is true? a.Plant, property, and equipment assets are sold to customers in the normal course of...

In recording plant assets, how do I calculate the annual depreciation? [ 1 Answers ]

I know the first year is the original cost minus the salvage value, divided by the years of useful life. How is the last month calculated? Say the original cost of a truck is $8,500 and minus a salvage value of $1,000, divided by a 5-year life. This equals $1500 for a full year, but if it was...

View more questions Search