Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    accountingmajor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 10:04 PM
    adjusting entry
    I am in a real slump! I'm in need of assistance! I am really confused with the straight-line depreciation method. If there was an office equipment with a salvage value of $3000 and has a 5 year useful life, but it has been used for a year and 2 months. Do I minus the one year and two months from the 5 year useful life?

And I know I would have to minus something from the retained earnings, but I just don't know how to get my foot in the door...

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

HELP!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:49 AM
    I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Depreciation should have an adjusting entry each year and will not affect retained earnings. (Well, not directly. All revenues and expenses are eventually closed out to retained earnings.) What happens after one year and 2 months that you suddenly need to make an entry at this point in time?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jun 5, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by accountingmajor
    I am in a real slump! I'm in need of assistance! I am really confused with the straight-line depreciation method. If there was an office equipment with a salvage value of $3000 and has a 5 year useful life, but it has been used for a year and 2 months. Do I minus the one year and two months from the 5 year useful life?!

And I know I would have to minus something from the retained earnings, but I just don't know how to get my foot in the door...

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

HELP!
    Yes you would. In essence you can set up and compute the monthly charge for depreciation, make an adjustung entry to corect the depreciation to reflect a charge to the account for 14 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry [ 2 Answers ]

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry

Adjusting entry [ 3 Answers ]

I am preparing adjusting entries for dec 31 1) on nov 1, jay borrowed $9,000 from yorkville bank issuing a 90 day, 10% note. 2) on dec 1, jay gave laura palmer a 60 day, 12% note for $6000 on account. I wrote: cash 9,000 n/p 9,000 2) a/r ...

Adjusting entry [ 1 Answers ]

I have this question I did it but I don't know if I am right or wrong can somebody help me thank you beta co. bought a truck on jan 1, 2004 for 175,000. It had a 15,000 estimated residual value, a ten yr useful life, and beta uses staright line amortization. a) at the bgn of 2008 the...

Adjusting entry [ 4 Answers ]

1. An analysis of lee's service contracts with customers shows that $8,300 of the amount customers have prepaid remains unearned. And balance in adjusted trial balance for unearned service fees is 20000 credit. 2. Lee has earned but unrecorded revenue for $10,000 for services...

View more questions Search