Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    581043 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Acid-test ratio calculation
    Hello I am looking at the latest annual report for a company called Mosaic and I need help calculating the acid-test (quick) ratio for this company. If I understand correctly the formula to solve this is:

(Cash + Short Term Investments + Receivables (net) ) / Current Liabilities

My question is the following: I would like for someone to tell me: Are the components for the acid-test found only in current assets? If so, which of these accounts are the short term investments?

Current Assets:
    Cash and cash equivalents
    Receivables, net
    Receivables from Cargill, Inc. and affiliates
    Inventories
    Deferred income taxes
    Other current assets
    Total Current Assets
    Property, plant and equipment, net
    Investments in non-consolidated companies
    Goodwill
    Other assets
    Total Assets

Investments in non-consolidated companies is a long term asset so I am not sure whether to include in the acid-test ratio. Thanks in advance.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 581043

(Cash + Short Term Investments + Receivables (net) ) / Current Liabilities

My question is the following: I would like for someone to tell me: Are the components for the acid-test found only in current assets?
    Yes. The equation is actually quick assets/current liabilities, with quick assets being cash, marketable securities and receivables. The idea is only including things that are cash or can be converted to cash fairly quickly. They would pretty much have to be current assets to even fit that definition. It's a sub-set of current assets.

In your list, you have no marketable securities. I'm not sure what the receivable from Cargill thing is. (Though I did some temporary for Cargill once, but I don't think that helps you. :D ) It's listed in current. There must be something "special" about it for them to list it separately from their other receivables. There might be something in the disclosure notes about it. But for the sake of a class situation and not really being able to expect a student to necessarily know a thing like that, I think I'd include it. But that definitely is just an opinion.
    581043 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Thank you for your help. I found another balance sheet at this website: MOS: Balance Sheet for MOSAIC COMPANY (THE) - Yahoo! Finance which clearly show that the short term investments are zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial ratio limitations - current ratio and debt to equity [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem which is as follows; Contracts with lenders, such as bonds typically place restrictions on the financial statement ratios. Two commonly used ratios are the current ratio and the debt-to-equity ratio. Why is it that these appear as restrictions, that is, do they protect the...

Acid-test ratio [ 1 Answers ]

Information are: Year 2006 2005cash 45 35 Short-term investments 30 27 Accounts receivable(net) 35 25 Inventory 65 65 Prepaid expenses ...

What to use to get acid-test or quick ratio [ 5 Answers ]

Do you include accrued liabilities when figuring the liabilities for getting your quick ratio and or acid-test ratio:confused: I know I include accounts payable, income tax payable, notes payable(short-term) for my liabilities For my assets I include accounts receivable, cash, marketable...

View more questions Search