Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaycee Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2005, 05:40 PM
    Why is this allowed?
    There are reports that once the rescue of people is done, the National Guard has orders to shoot any stray animal on site. Animals are starving. They swim to rescue boats and are being turned away because the boats are for people, yet the rescuers for animals are not allowed to rescue them. There's more than enough manpower to rescue every animal but they can't act . It's been over ten days and only a few hundred have been rescued. Why is that? Where are the pet food companies to drop food for these animals ? Where are the animal welfare organizations to add their voice to this public outcry. Will you add your voice to this?

( on another site)

"Rescuers are being turned away in some parts of Louisiana. Reporters are telling us that when all is quiet, all they can hear are the yoweling and crying of dogs and cats that are trapped inside homes starving and scared out of their minds. Please help on Monday!! The plan for MondayMONDAYS PROMISE 1000 CALLS TO THE WHITE HOUSE,MONDAY9/12Comments:202-456-1111......Switchboard:202-456-1414....FAX:[email protected] I was told by someone in Homeland Security yesterday, that believe it or not, the way to get this solved is to have 1000 people call the White House to demand that the military go in and save these animals. Now that they have evacuated so many humans, its TIME, NOW, to save their best friends. The death toll of humans is much lower than expected, but not evacuating the pets has made the animal death toll unimaginable. AMERICA DOES NOT ABANDON IT'S PETS WHILE WATCHING THEM SUFFER A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH. This is cruelty to animals, which humans caused by leaving them, then not rescuing them, NOW HUMANS MUST SAVE THEM. FLOODING THE WHITE HOUSE WITH CALLS ON MONDAY WILL GUARANTEE a call from the White House to the field to save the animals. SPREAD THE WORD and thank you for standing up for the animals. You have saved many so far,and,[email protected] for suggestions on how to get this out on forums and chat rooms today, tomorrow and until every pet comes home..."
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2005, 09:08 PM
    From what I have seen, it is not as bad as you suggest. Some animals are being rescued and sheltered out of state. The government has its hands full coping with this disaster. I don't think they need 1000 calls to the White House Monday morning on this.

I am sure most of the people that abandoned their pets had no choice. Had we burdened the rescuers with pets too, I am sure we would have lost more people. I sure if the National Guardsman really were shooting dogs and cats, it would be heavily covered on the 6:00 news.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 11, 2005, 10:15 PM
    I'm glad you added some balance here. It makes me feel better. Those poor animals, though. I've heard that lots are being saved here and there by the people who remained. It was inevitable for some to die just like some people. Wonder if the people who did die were so stoned on drugs and alcohol they were unable to respond to the warnings.

Sep 11, 2005, 10:27 PM
    Another thought which might sicken some, but that is, the dogs will find corpses to eat. Awful as that sounds, at least they won't die. That is, unless they are tied up; which I've heard has happened in a few cases. Or trapped indoors. :(
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2005, 04:49 AM
    Animals
    Hi,
    I am a constant "watcher" of news, CNN, and CNN Headline News, about the hurricane disaster.
    I have not heard anyone, anytime, say animals will be shot.
    As far as the rest of it, I sincerely hope the American people will NOT let this issue just fade away, as to the "speed" that the Federal Governmant acted in this disaster. When people know that a disaster is impending, and all of us did with all the news reports and experts two days ahead of time, you can't tell me that Blackhawks could not have been dropping food and water to those in the AstroDome the day after this happened... no way I would ever believe they couldn't!
    Let the Whitehouse be alerted to a possible attack two days early, and you would see Blackhawks (as well as fighter jets) flying all over and around a few minutes after the warning!
    There are many in our Federal Government that should no longer be there; as well as a couple of Governors!
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2005, 07:44 AM
    Yes Becky, I am sure those that did a poor job taking care of themselves and their children also did a poor job caring for their pets.

Perhaps a good time to chip our pets. Not everybody is on the coast where hurricanes come, but there are earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados, and just dogs getting lost.
    jaycee Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    From what I have seen, it is not as bad as you suggest. Some animals are being rescued and sheltered out of state. The government has its hands full coping with this disaster. I don't think they need 1000 calls to the White House Monday morning on this.

I am sure most of the people that abandoned their pets had no choice. Had we burdened the rescuers with pets too, I am sure we would have lost more people. I sure if the National Guardsman really were shooting dogs and cats, it would be heavily covered on the 6:00 news.

The key word is " some"- " some animals are being rescued" but not enough. We have thousands of animal welfare organizations all over the US. Fifty in Louisiana alone. They don't need to " burden( I wonder if you'd call it that if it was your own pet) the rescuers slated to rescue people only- there are animal welfare organizations for that and they'd do their job but they are bieng stopped. Did I say that the National Guard was shooting dogs? I think I said that when rescue efforts for people were complete it was reported that the National Guard would then be given orders to start shooting strays, etc. That doesn't mean right now that means when. And if the White House is " putting their foot on the hose" so to speak and stopping rescuers from getting in to save the animals ( it's been reported that rescuers are just standing around, they can't move, more than enough volunteers, nothing to do) they should be getting more than 1000 calls at the White House. They've received that number of calls for a lot less.

Sep 12, 2005, 10:58 AM
    After doing some more research, it appears that there is a *lot* of animal rescue being done. We humans love our animals, and there seems to be nearly as much outpouring of love and donations for animals as for humans. There will always be some wacko out there that will shoot a dog - even one rescue helicopter was shot at, even police. I'm encouraged overall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Romex allowed over concrete block? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a detached building with a block foundation. On the inside, the top of the blocks is about 4" above the concrete floor. The walls are aligned with the outside of the 8" wide block therefore there is a 4" wide shelf (top of the blocks) that runs along the perimeter of the building. I used...

Am I allowed half of his tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been separated for 3 months. I recently filed his tax return online for him, at his request, and he wanted it direct deposited into my account. He told me he would give me 600.00 of it, although he is getting 1800.00 back. Due to some very violent behavior a couple of days...

Is an "S" trap ever allowed? [ 4 Answers ]

The house we've just moved into has the piping for a full bathroom in the basement floor complete with an ejector pump. My intention is to put a washer\dryer and laundry sink in that area of the basement instead of a bathroom. There are 4 drain pipes running up from the floor. Three of the...

Error Message - Column Not Allowed Here [ 3 Answers ]

I tried to create a table and got the following message: COLUMN NOT ALLOWED HERE. What is the solution for this? Regards MATHEW

View more questions Search