Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 9, 2006, 10:00 AM
    DSL-hook up problems
    :confused: I am trying to hook up my DSL service at home and want to make sure I'm doing it right... I'm not exactly a computer expert to put it lightly OK in dummy terms, I put filters on all of my phone jacks... then on the jack I'm using for the DSL connection, I plugged the ethernet cable into the modem and then into my computer and then the phone line into the modem under DSL and into the splitter filter labeled DSL and the lights on the modem lit up... the ethernet light was green but the DSL was red and blinking and my computer isn't recognizing a connection... what could this mean? Am I hooking it up right? Please help!:o
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 10:09 AM
    The only diff for me is I'm plugged directly into the outlet, no splitter on the jack that takes the dsl line... but perhaps there is a different filter for this one jack that splits the line into a phone and also dsl?? Maybe remove that filter and see if it works directly into the jack.

I think the ethernet green just means the computer is communicating with the modem fine. When my dsl is not solid green it either means something is wrong with the system (outside the house) or I'm not setup right. I usually have to call in for troubleshooting help when it's a configuration prob on my side.

Did you need to install any software? You might also unplug the modem power for like 30 sec and then plug in. this has worked before for me on occasion.

I'm sure others will have ideas as well.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Ethernet light is green simply because it sees an electrical connection - that's good. Make sure there NO filter on the phone wire that goes from the modem to the phone jack. Your hookup should look like this:

If your connections are all correct and you still don't have a connection then your next call is to your ISP's tech support.

Mar 9, 2006, 10:31 AM
    OK, so the phone jack that I plug the Modem in should not have a filter? You see I have to share that phone jack with a phone so I have a splitter filter on it... with one jack for phone and one jack for DSL... Does that sound right... or do I have to plug the modem directly into the jack? If so... will it work with a y adapter... where I plug the phone into one side and the modem line into the other?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    ok, so the phone jack that I plug the Modem in should not have a filter? You see I have to share that phone jack with a phone so I have a splitter filter on it...with one jack for phone and one jack for DSL...Does that sound right...or do I have to plug the modem directly into the jack? If so...will it work with a y adapter...where I plug the phone into one side and the modem line into the other?
    Plugging the modem directly into the jack is a good troubleshooting step. If that works then move on to setting up your splitter properly: splitter directly into the jack, one phone wire from splitter to modem (no filter), and use a filter on the telephone wire that goes into the splitter. Please refer to the previous diagram.

Good luck!

Mar 9, 2006, 11:02 AM
    Thanks! I did that and still a red light flashing so there must be a problem with the line... I'll call my ISP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Can we assume you contacted your carrier and had the line activated? You can't just buy the equipment and plug it in. The line has to be activated by the Telco.

And, again, these are networking questions, not Beginners questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termostat hook up [ 2 Answers ]

We just recently purchase a house . I went to put a new digilal termostat.finding out to my surprise that we have some sort of air cond system. Upon furter inspection the system is a water cooled of some sort with a condenser inside of heating duct above fan blower.the wires at the thermosat are...

Wireless hook up for a laptop [ 4 Answers ]

I have cable internet with a desktop and want to hook up my new laptop with core duo in another room.

Washer Dryer Hook-up [ 5 Answers ]

I just inherited my sister's 8 year old washer and dryer (gas). The super came by and told us he would need to replace some of the hook-ups, for a total of $170. That seems a little bit expensive. Is that a normal price to replace the washer hoses, necessary clamps and valves, the gas line, etc?...

Sewer hook up [ 4 Answers ]

I am presently on a septic system. Thanks to a new housing development I now have a sewer line 45 feet from the house. I got the permit and have taken care of the impact fees. I know there is a min. slope when installing sewer drain but I was wandering if you can have too much slope. With my house...

Trying to hook thermato blower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is mitch I'm trying to figure out how to hook a second thermastat up that will kick my blower on when the house temp drops I put a taylor outdoor wood furnace in with heat exchanger in my top draft double wide home I need a thermastat to kick just the blower not oil fired furnace on ...

View more questions Search